Determining the Force Needed to Deform a Silicone Gasket by 0.5mm?

• Thread starter Mech King
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compression
In summary, the best way to determine the required load to deform a silicone seal washer by 0.5mm is to use Young's Modulus and calculate the force needed using the equation Force = (Young's Modulus * Area of Washer) / Deformation. This will also allow you to determine the maximum tensile load on your plastic snap features.
Mech King
Hi guys,

i am having a bit of difficulty with the following problem:

I have an arrangement whereby i have a silicone seal washer lying on a flat surface. A circular hollow tube is mated on top of the the washer/gasket which will from a seal once the tube is secured in place with a certain amount of preload. To be honest the amount of preload is not important to me as the seal is not critical.

If i want the washer to deform say 0.5mm and it's 2mm thick, how do i determine the load required to deform the washer by this amount, and can it even be compressed this much?

I have tried calculating simple Strain due to compressing the washer by 0.5mm and then i have multiplied this value by the Modulus of Elasticity in order to determine the stress. I then wanted to use this value to determine the force due to the contact area of the circular tube, but because the value for The Elastic modulus is about 150 GPa, the resulting force seems somewhat unrealistic.

I am using some plastic snap features to hold the tube in place, and i wanted to determine the max tensile load they would see as a result of the compression of the washer before snapping into there retaining feature.

Would anyone please be able to help clarify my thinking above; if I'm on the right lines or if i need to go about it another way? Any help would be much appreciated.

There is surprisingly little info on this on the net :(

Best regards to you all

mech King

Engineering news on Phys.org
.The best way to approach this problem is to use the concept of Young's Modulus. Young's Modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is expressed as stress (force per unit area) over strain (deformation per unit length). You can calculate the force required to deform the washer by 0.5mm using the following equation: Force = (Young's Modulus * Area of Washer) / Deformation Where Area of Washer is the cross-sectional area of the washer, and Deformation is the amount of deformation (0.5mm in this case). This will give you the total force required to deform the washer by 0.5mm. You can then use this force to calculate the maximum tensile load that your plastic snap features would see by dividing the total force by the number of snaps used. I hope this helps!

1. What is silicone gasket compression?

Silicone gasket compression is a process in which a silicone gasket is compressed between two surfaces to create a seal. This is commonly used in industrial and manufacturing applications to prevent leaks and provide a secure fit.

2. How does silicone gasket compression work?

Silicone gasket compression works by applying pressure to the gasket, causing it to conform to the surfaces it is compressed between. This creates a tight seal that prevents any fluid or gas from passing through.

3. What are the benefits of using silicone gasket compression?

There are several benefits to using silicone gasket compression. It is a cost-effective method for creating a seal, it can withstand a wide range of temperatures and chemicals, and it is easy to replace if necessary.

4. How do you determine the correct amount of compression for a silicone gasket?

The amount of compression needed for a silicone gasket depends on the type of gasket, the application, and the desired level of seal. Generally, a compression of 20-30% is recommended for most silicone gaskets.

5. What are some common uses for silicone gasket compression?

Silicone gasket compression is commonly used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and electronics. It is also used in household appliances, medical devices, and plumbing systems to create a secure seal and prevent leaks.