Any suggestions for a good set of binoculars around $30?

In summary, when buying binoculars for stargazing, it is important to look for stability control, optical quality, ease of use, and aperture in that order. It is unlikely to find all of these features in a new pair for less than $30, but eBay is a good place to look for used options. Some recommended brands are Zeiss and Bushnell. However, be mindful of the exit pupil size as some may be oversized. Alternatively, Ocean Pacific offers a variety of binoculars in the $30 and under price range, with decent options at 10x50 magnification. These could be a good choice for quick looks, without the risk of leaving more expensive binoculars unattended. Overall, the quality
itsthemac
Also, is there something to look for in particular when you're buying binoculars for stargazing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For me the particular something is stability control. I've no idea about the price range; eBay may be worth looking at.

You want optical quality, ease of use, and aperature - in that order. I doubt you will find anything new that satisfies all these needs for less than $30 new. Try ebay, some very nice zeiss and bushnell's [two of my favorites] are often listed there. You will not be disapointed with either.

Some decent 10x50s are usually easy to find. Watch out for the exit pupil though, some of them are bizarrely over-sized.

Ocean Pacific carries lots of binoculars in the $30 and under price range. I bought a pair of the 10x50s to keep in my Subaru for quick looks. I don't want to leave my Nikons in a vehicle unattended, but a pair of $25 binos...OK. BTW, the quality is much better than you might expect for the price point.

http://www.optcorp.com/productList.aspx?uid=&pg=2&kw=binoculars&st=2 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

What features should I look for in binoculars?

When looking for binoculars, it is important to consider the magnification power, objective lens diameter, and field of view. A magnification power of 7x or 8x is recommended for general use. The objective lens diameter should be at least 30mm for better light gathering abilities. A wider field of view allows for a larger area to be viewed at once.

What is the difference between roof prism and porro prism binoculars?

The main difference between these two types of binoculars is the way the prisms are arranged. Roof prism binoculars have a straight, compact design while porro prism binoculars have a more traditional curved shape. Roof prism binoculars usually have better image quality and are more durable, but they tend to be more expensive.

Are compact binoculars worth considering?

Compact binoculars are smaller and lighter, making them easier to carry around. However, they often have smaller objective lenses and lower magnification power, resulting in a narrower field of view and lower image quality. They may be suitable for casual use or travel, but for more serious observations, full-sized binoculars are recommended.

Is it possible to get good binoculars for under $30?

While there are certainly high-quality binoculars that cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars, there are also decent options available for a lower budget. It is possible to find binoculars with good features and decent image quality for under $30, but they may not be as durable or have the same level of performance as more expensive models.

What should I look for in terms of durability and warranty?

When purchasing binoculars, it is important to consider the build quality and durability. Look for binoculars with rubber armor or a sturdy construction to protect against drops and impacts. Additionally, check the warranty and return policies of the manufacturer to ensure you can get a replacement or repair if needed.