Write a report into what graviton is

In summary: The higgs boson is a particle that is theorized to be more massive than the graviton. It is important to find because if it is found, the graviton falls out naturally. There have been tentative signs at the Tevetron collider, also another good area.
Rulez
So, I have to write a report into what the graviton is and how we are searching for it.

However after reading around a fair bit,I really don't know what to do.I know what it is but I don't know how we are looking for it/theories relating to it.

So what I am asking is if anyone can help me with:

1.What it is e.g what type of particle etc.

2.How we are looking for it.Will we ever find it etc.

Needs to be about 1500-2000 words.Perhaps could write about fundamental particles for a bit.

Also,Would it be easier to do this about the higgs boson instead of the Graviton?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yeah searching for the graviton is not really an issue atm as such, we need to find the more massive Higgs boson first. If there's a boson then the graviton falls out naturally.

Blimey though, well clearly as you no doubt know CERN is a good area to look into but...

Basically the Higgs has to be in a certain mass range this could provide a great deal of cogent information as to why.

There have been tentative signs at the Tevetron collider, also another good area.

I'd start off with the standard model as a basis, move into where the graviton and Higgs boson fit into this if the standard model is to be completed, along with field theory explanations of its necessity such as the Higgs field and then move into the applied research applications at the various colliders, ending on a note about theories that would not require a force carrier if it could not be found, such as strings (some models) et al.

There are some good documentaries on this issue a basic overview is provided by Horizons program on CERN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E

Last edited:

So I guess it would be easier to talk about just the higgs boson tbh since it's the current research.

So what you suggest is

Talk about standard model/explain it.

Where the higgs boson fits in e.g what it is

The work at CERN and can we find it?

1. What is a graviton?

A graviton is a hypothetical subatomic particle that is believed to be responsible for carrying the force of gravity. It is a fundamental particle that is predicted by theories of quantum gravity, but has not yet been observed or confirmed.

2. How was the concept of graviton developed?

The concept of graviton was first proposed by physicist John Wheeler in the 1930s. The idea was later developed by other scientists, including Richard Feynman and Steven Weinberg, as they worked to merge the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. How does graviton relate to the other fundamental forces?

Graviton is believed to be the carrier particle for the force of gravity, just as photons are the carrier particles for the electromagnetic force. It is also thought to interact with the other fundamental forces, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces, in a similar manner to how photons interact with those forces.

4. Can gravitons be detected?

At this point in time, gravitons have not been detected or observed directly. However, scientists are currently working on experiments and technologies that may one day be able to detect the presence of gravitons.

5. What are the implications of discovering graviton?

The discovery of graviton would have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the nature of the universe. It would also provide further evidence for the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, and could potentially lead to advancements in technology and our ability to manipulate gravity.