Transforming a Wedge into an Angular Sector

In summary: It looks like a line, but with an angle added to it. Similarly, the image of a circle at b under z_1 is a line with an angle added to it.
T-O7
Okay,
I'm having trouble understanding the following:
Given a region of a circular wedge with endpoints [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex], the mapping [tex]z_{1}=\frac{z-a}{z-b}[/tex] transforms this wedge into an angular sector. Then, by an appropriate power [tex]\alpha[/tex], the map [tex]w = z_{1}^\alpha[/tex] maps the angular sector onto a half plane. How exactly does this wedge turn into a nice angular sector just by [tex]z_1[/tex]? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure what your region is, an image could help...

The frist transformation is making [itex]a[/itex] go to [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] go to [itex]\infty[/itex]. That means that all arcs passing trough [itex]b[/itex] will be straight lines. Given that it is conformal (is a Möbius transform), preserves angles. So the anlge in which the two curves cut will preserve, and if the other curve passes trough [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], there you have the angular sector.

The sedcond one is easy to see, remember that a complex variable can be written in the form [itex]z=Re^{i\theta}[/itex]. Consequently
[tex]z^{\alpha}=R^{\alpha}e^{i\alpha\theta}[/tex]

The angle has been widen by [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Sorry for bad english

Last edited:
Hmm...okay. I think I understand the second map now. For the first one though, I'm still a little unclear about why the two "boundary" curves (say [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_2[/tex]) of the circular wedge that connect [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] are mapped to straight lines. How do we know they don't get mapped onto non-straight lines? I understand that they must preserve the angle between each other at the image of [tex]a[/tex] and at [tex]b[/tex] (i.e at 0 and [tex]\infty[/tex]), but why straight lines? And how do you 'interpret' the angle preserving behaviour of [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_2[/tex] at the image of [tex]b[/tex](i.e at [tex]\infty[/tex])?

Okay, so i think i may have somewhat understood what you were saying before, ReyChiquito. If the map [tex]z_1[/tex] is a Mobius transformation, then it must map circles to circles (considering lines as circles too). Since the edge curves [tex]\gamma_1[/tex] and [tex]\gamma_2[/tex] of the circular wedge is part of a circle, their images under [tex]z_1[/tex] must also be circles (or lines). But it can't be a real circle, otherwise it wouldn't map b to [tex]\infty[/tex], so it must be a straight line.

Is this half-logical thinking? :redface:

That would be correct. Think of the transformation in the Riemann Sphere. What does a circle that passes trough N looks like in the C-plane?

1. How do you transform a wedge into an angular sector?

The first step in transforming a wedge into an angular sector is to identify the central angle of the sector. This can be done by dividing the angle of the wedge by the number of wedges in the circle and multiplying it by the number of wedges in the sector. Next, calculate the perimeter of the sector by multiplying the radius of the circle by the central angle. Finally, use the perimeter of the sector to calculate the area using the formula A = (1/2)rP, where r is the radius and P is the perimeter.

2. What is the difference between a wedge and an angular sector?

A wedge is a two-dimensional shape with a curved side and two straight sides, while an angular sector is a two-dimensional shape with a curved side and two radii. A wedge is a part of a circle, while an angular sector is a sector of a circle.

3. How do you calculate the area of an angular sector?

The area of an angular sector can be calculated by finding the central angle of the sector and using the formula A = (1/2)rP, where r is the radius of the circle and P is the perimeter of the sector. Alternatively, you can also use the formula A = (1/2)r²θ, where r is the radius and θ is the central angle in radians.

4. Can a wedge be transformed into an angular sector with any central angle?

Yes, a wedge can be transformed into an angular sector with any central angle as long as it is a factor of the angle of the wedge. For example, if a wedge has an angle of 120 degrees, it can be transformed into an angular sector with a central angle of 60, 30, 20, or any other factor of 120 degrees.

5. Are there any real-life applications of transforming a wedge into an angular sector?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in geometry and trigonometry, but it also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and design. For example, it can be used to calculate the area of a slice of a pizza or to design curved structures such as arches or domes.