RLC circuit with very large Resistance

In summary, we are considering an RLC circuit with a very large resistance and given initial conditions. The charge as a function of time is given by a differential equation, which can be solved using the general form for three possible cases. The third case is usually used for circuits, but in this case, we can approximate the roots using the quadratic equation and the hint given.
gonzalesdp

Homework Statement

Consider an RLC circuit with very large Resistance.
a) when t = 0, q(0) = 0
b) When t = TL q(TL) = 2Q(1+e)-1cosh(TL/TC)
Where TL and TC are the inductive and capacitive time constants, respectively.

Show that the charge as a function of time is given by:

q(t) = Q(1+e)-1e-t/TC + Q(1+e-1)-1e-t/TLet/TC

Homework Equations

There is a hint that you might need to use the binomial theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing down the differential equation that the charge q satisfies, or if you already have it, the general solution to that equation.

Thanks, I have gotten that far since I posted.

I have the diff eq as

L dq^2/dt +R dq/dt +q/c = 0

I'm solving using the general form ay" + by' +cy = 0

the auxiliary equation is

am^2 + bm +c = 0

From what I understand is there are three cases to this solution:
1: Distinct real roots when b^2 - 4ac > 0
Solution: y =c_1exp(xm_1) +c_2exp(xm_2)
2: Reapeated Real roots when b^2 - 4ac = 0
Solution: y = c_1exp(xm) +xc_2exp(xm)
3: conjugate complex roots when b^2 -4ac < 0
Solution: y = exp(alphax)[c_1cos(Bx) + c_2sin(Bx)
alpha = -b/2a
B = (1/2a)(4ac-b^2)^1/2
Usually the third case is the one to use, since circuits are only useful with small resistances.
However since one of the conditions is a "very large resistance". I've been trying to use the first two.

What you want to do is use the quadratic equation to write down what the roots are, and then you want to use the fact that R is large to approximate the radical. That's where the hint comes in.

I would approach this problem by first defining the RLC circuit and its components. The RLC circuit consists of a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series. The resistance (R) is a measure of how much the circuit impedes the flow of current, while the inductance (L) and capacitance (C) are measures of the circuit's ability to store energy in the form of magnetic and electric fields, respectively.

Next, I would consider the given initial conditions (a) and (b) and use them to write out the equations for the charge (q) at t = 0 and t = TL. From there, I would use the given equations and the binomial theorem to manipulate and simplify the expressions for q(0) and q(TL) into the desired form.

Finally, I would use my knowledge of the behavior of an RLC circuit with large resistance to explain how the resulting charge function relates to the circuit's response. In an RLC circuit with very large resistance, the current will decrease rapidly due to the high resistance, resulting in a slower discharge of the capacitor. This means that the charge will decrease slowly over time, as shown in the resulting charge function.

In conclusion, the charge function q(t) = Q(1+e)-1e-t/TC + Q(1+e-1)-1e-t/TLet/TC is a result of the initial conditions and the behavior of an RLC circuit with very large resistance. The binomial theorem is used to simplify the expressions, and the resulting function shows how the charge decreases over time in this type of circuit.

1. What is an RLC circuit with very large resistance?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). When the resistance in the circuit is very large, it means that the resistance value is significantly higher than the inductance and capacitance values. This can result in unique behaviors and characteristics in the circuit.

2. How does a large resistance affect the behavior of the RLC circuit?

A large resistance in an RLC circuit can cause the circuit to behave differently than it would with lower resistance values. This can include changes in the frequency response, damping ratio, and overall stability of the circuit.

3. What is the frequency response of an RLC circuit with very large resistance?

The frequency response of an RLC circuit with very large resistance can be affected in a few ways. The resonance frequency may shift, and the circuit may exhibit a higher Q factor, resulting in a narrower bandwidth. Additionally, the amplitude of the response may decrease as the resistance increases.

4. How does a large resistance affect the damping ratio of an RLC circuit?

The damping ratio of an RLC circuit is a measure of how quickly the oscillations in the circuit will decay. With a very large resistance, the damping ratio will increase, meaning the oscillations will decay more quickly. This can result in a more stable circuit, as the oscillations will not persist as long.

5. What are some real-world applications of RLC circuits with very large resistance?

RLC circuits with very large resistance can be found in a variety of electronic devices and systems. Some examples include high-frequency filters in audio equipment, voltage regulators in power supplies, and frequency-selective circuits in communication systems. They can also be used in scientific research and experimentation to study the behavior of electrical circuits under different conditions.