What are the eigenvectors for lambda = -1?

In summary, the general solution to x'=Ax where A is a 3x3 matrix is given by x(t)=c1e^(2t)v1+c2e^(-t)v2+c3e^(-t)v3, where v1=[1;1;1], v2=[1;0;-1], and v3=[0;1;-1].
Anabelle37

Homework Statement

find the general solution to x'=Ax; where A is a 3x3matrix: A=[0 1 1; 1 0 1; 1 1 0]

Homework Equations

det(A-lambda*I)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the eigenvalues to be 2, -1, -1.
for lambda=2 i found the corresponding eigenvector to be a 3x1 martrix v_1 = [1;1;1]

For lambda=-1 i am having trouble finding the eigenvectors. my A-lamda*I matrix is now a 3x3 matrix containing all 1's. how do I find the eigenvector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Anabelle37! :smile:

(have a lambda: λ :wink:)
Anabelle37 said:
… for lambda=2 i found the corresponding eigenvector to be a 3x1 martrix v_1 = [1;1;1]

So any other eigenvector msut be perpendicular to [1;1;1] …

does that help? :wink:

Think about the basic definition of "eigenvalue" and "eigenvector". If -1 is an eigenvalue for this A, there must be a non-zero vector, v, such that Av= -v.

That is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 1\\ 1 & 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= -\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

which means we must have y+ z= -x, x+ z= -y, and x+ y= -z. Those are all the same as x+ y+ z= 0 so that z= -x- y. Any vector in the eigenspace corresponding to eigenvalue -1 is of the form <x, y, -x- y>= <x, 0, -x>+ <0 , y , -y>= x<1, 0, -1>+ y<0, 1, -1>.

1. What is an eigenvector and eigenvalue?

An eigenvector is a vector that does not change its direction when multiplied by a square matrix. An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by the matrix.

2. Why are eigenvectors and eigenvalues important?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important because they help us understand the behavior of a matrix and its transformations. They are also used in many applications such as data analysis, computer graphics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do you find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of a matrix, we first need to solve the characteristic equation det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the matrix and λ is the eigenvalue. The solutions for λ are the eigenvalues, and the corresponding eigenvectors can be found by solving the system of equations (A-λI)x=0.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvector?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvectors for the same eigenvalue. In fact, it is common for matrices to have multiple eigenvectors, and these vectors may form a basis for the vector space.

5. What is the relationship between eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix are related in that each eigenvalue corresponds to a unique eigenvector. The eigenvalues determine the scaling factor of the eigenvectors, and the eigenvectors form a basis for the vector space of the matrix.