What is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment

• Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: Otherwise, I suggest you read more about each of these topics before asking specific questions.In summary, the general purpose registers, segment registers, index registers, instruction pointer registers, and status registers are used to store data while the processor is running a program. They are also used to control the flow of the program.
pairofstrings
what is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment registers, index registers, instruction pointer registers, and status registers?
I need detail answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org

pairofstrings said:
what is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment registers, index registers, instruction pointer registers, and status registers?
I need detail answers.

This smells like a homework assignment. Bad form.

But even if we told you in detail, it wouldn't make a lot of sense without understanding the internal workings of a microprocessor, how programs are compiled, and how operating systems are architected.

For the basics, here's an oldie but goody:

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/faculty/dmb/py310/8085.pdf

BTW: Flags == Status, Indirect == Index

Read it beginning to end.

For segment registers you generally have to go to 16-, 32- and 64-bit processors intended for high-end operating systems. x86 has them. 68K/PPC don't. They are associated with handling multi-tasking in OSes. I'll let your find that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

I want to find out the internal working of a microprocessor and what microprocessors are made of, and want to find out how compilers work and how computers are architected. Can anyone please tell me how programs are compiled and internal working of any microprocessor?? I was studying 8086 microprocessor.
When a heading says "Internal architecture of microprocessor" does that mean that microprocessor has all those things(registers, ALU,BUS) inside the 40 pin package?

Last edited:

pairofstrings said:
When a heading says "Internal architecture of microprocessor" does that mean that microprocessor has all those things(registers, ALU,BUS) inside the 40 pin package?

yes. you need to do more basic reading. you are asking for a LOT of information.

pairofstrings said:
I need detail answers.

Start with these two websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor

http://www.howstuffworks.com/microprocessor.htm

The wikipedia article has lots of links out to related info at the end.

After you read through those web pages, if you have a specific question, please post it here with a link to the related part of the articles.

What is the purpose of the general purpose registers?

The general purpose registers are a set of registers used to temporarily store data and instructions during the execution of a program. They are used to perform calculations, manipulate data, and control program flow.

What is the purpose of the segment registers?

The segment registers are used to define the starting address of different segments of memory in a computer's memory map. This allows the computer to access different parts of memory for storing and retrieving data.

How many general purpose registers are there?

Most modern processors have between 8 and 16 general purpose registers. This number can vary depending on the specific processor architecture.

What is the difference between general purpose registers and segment registers?

General purpose registers are used for data manipulation and program control, while segment registers are used for memory management. General purpose registers can hold any type of data, while segment registers are used for defining memory segments.

Why are general purpose registers important in computer architecture?

General purpose registers are essential for efficient data manipulation and program control. They allow the processor to quickly access and manipulate data, which is crucial for the smooth execution of programs.