Must-Read Books Before Undergrad Degree - Maths, Physics & CS/Programming

In summary, the international student would like a list of books that are MUST READ before going to do an undergraduate degree in a mathematics, physics, or computer science-based subject. The student is not looking for books that are commonly used at a university/undergraduate level, but instead books that can be covered in high school. If the student has had calculus, they may be interested in a book like Halliday and Resnick. Finally, $100 texts do not have a significant difference in quality when compared to older, used texts.
4bro
Hello,
Newbie here. I am an international student. I would like to ask you about book suggestions. Specifically, I would like to have a list of books that are MUST read before going to do an Undergrad degree.

The subjects that interest me are the following:
1) Mathematics;
2) Physics;
3) Computer Science/Programming languages;

As I mentioned above, I am not from English spoken country. I want to familiarize myself with all the terminology in the given subjects. Hence, please advise me books which start from very simple topics [from zero] and move on towards complicated ones. I appreciate your effort.

Oh, if this thread is opened in a wrong sub-forum, can someone move it to the right place? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's better to start your UG physics under the guidance of the professors in your courses than to try to read ahead.

Meir Achuz said:
I think it's better to start your UG physics under the guidance of the professors in your courses than to try to read ahead.

Thank you for your input.

I am not looking for books which are used at University/UG level. I just want to go through all the material that is covered during the High School/pre-High School years.

Again, I am not from English spoken country and I am not quite sure to what extent those subjects are covered. If I go through the material (which is in English) before doing a UG degree, I will have less issues with understanding things at Uni.

Thanks.

If you have had calculus, you could try a book like Halliday and Resnick.

clem said:
If you have had calculus, you could try a book like Halliday and Resnick.
Alright. I will have a look.
So far I have one recommended Physics book. Please, keep it coming. Thanks.

Oh, there are books out there which cost more than hundred bucks. They really need some reviews by people who have read them. Apparently, the above suggested book has negative reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:
First, let me compliment you on your English, which is very good for a non-native speaker.

Second, it is difficult to answer your question because there is a large variation in the academic preparation of US students. Many enter college with minimal math skills, and no formal classes in physics or CS. Others take enough advanced classes in high school to get credit for first-year college courses.

I would guess that most universities will expect serious students to have at least taken precalculus and algebra-based physics in high school, so you should look at texts for those classes. I like Stewart's precalculus text, and I assume that Serway or Giancoli's algebra-based physics texts are pretty good, since they are widely used. If they are too basic for you, then you should look at the websites of universities you respect, and see what textbooks they use for calculus and physics.

And with regard to $100 texts, don't buy them. Find an older used edition, for $10 or so, on Amazon or Ebay. There is no important difference between a new text and one 30 years old when the subject is math or classical physics.

brocks said:
First, let me compliment you on your English, which is very good for a non-native speaker.

Second, it is difficult to answer your question because there is a large variation in the academic preparation of US students. Many enter college with minimal math skills, and no formal classes in physics or CS. Others take enough advanced classes in high school to get credit for first-year college courses.

I would guess that most universities will expect serious students to have at least taken precalculus and algebra-based physics in high school, so you should look at texts for those classes. I like Stewart's precalculus text, and I assume that Serway or Giancoli's algebra-based physics texts are pretty good, since they are widely used. If they are too basic for you, then you should look at the websites of universities you respect, and see what textbooks they use for calculus and physics.

And with regard to $100 texts, don't buy them. Find an older used edition, for $10 or so, on Amazon or Ebay. There is no important difference between a new text and one 30 years old when the subject is math or classical physics.

Nicely put, brocks. Thank you!

1. What are the must-read books for a college undergraduate degree in Maths?

Some of the most frequently recommended books for undergraduates in Maths include "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications" by Kenneth Rosen, and "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand.

2. Which books are essential for a college undergraduate degree in Physics?

Some of the most recommended books for undergraduates in Physics include "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor.

3. What are the must-read books for a college undergraduate degree in Computer Science?

Some of the most frequently recommended books for undergraduates in Computer Science include "Introduction to the Theory of Computation" by Michael Sipser, "Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective" by Randal E. Bryant and David R. O'Hallaron, "The C Programming Language" by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie, "Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction" by Steve McConnell, and "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, and John Vlissides.

4. Are there any books that cover multiple subjects, such as Maths, Physics, and Computer Science?

Yes, there are books that cover multiple subjects and can be useful for undergraduates in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science. Some examples include "Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science" by Ronald L. Graham, Donald E. Knuth, and Oren Patashnik, "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, and "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Harold Abelson and Gerald Jay Sussman with Julie Sussman.

5. What is the benefit of reading these books before starting a college undergraduate degree?

Reading these books before starting a college undergraduate degree can provide a solid foundation and understanding of the key concepts and principles in Maths, Physics, and Computer Science. This can help students excel in their courses, have a deeper understanding of the subjects, and be better prepared for future studies or careers in these fields.