Exploring the Geometric Properties of Complex Ratios

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving complex ratios and is stuck. He has found a useful result from Euclidean Geometry and has drawn a diagram to help him understand it.
JungleJesus
I am reading Visual Complex Analysis by Dr. Tristan Needham and am hung up on some of the geometrical concepts. In particular, I am having trouble with ideas involving the geometric properties of numbers like:

[itex]\frac{z-a}{z-b}[/itex]

Note: I am still in the first and second chapters, which deal with the basic geometry of complex numbers and functions.

As an example problem, here is one I've been trying to figure out for a few days:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37296&stc=1&d=1311039855.png

As an attempted solution, I chose three arbitrary points a, b, z and constructed the perpendicular bisector of a and b and a three point circle through a, b and z. The chord through a and b divides the circle into two regions.

Since z is a variable under a constraint, it may move freely about this circle. As long as z stays on the same side of chord [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{ab}[/itex], the angle between the chords [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{az}[/itex] and [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{bz}[/itex] will be a constant. I interpreted (but have found no way to prove) the constant angle as the constant referred to in the problem.

That being said, it looked to me like the tangent of this angle was equal to [itex]Im((z-a)/(z-b))/Re((z-a)/(z-b))[/itex],
where Im(z) and Re(z) are the imaginary and real parts of the complex number z.

This is as far as I got. I showed that the angle between chords was constant along the three point circular arc of a, b and z. I have no idea if this is even the right place to look, and this problem is only one of many dealing with complex ratios that I simply don't understand.

Any help?

Attachments

• VCA, Ch-1, Ex-11.png
    VCA, Ch-1, Ex-11.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 863
Physics news on Phys.org
The useful result from Euclidean Geometry is the following: Angles at the circumference standing on equal chords are equal.

Angles at the circumference standing on equal chords are equal.

I used this result earlier to move z along the arc to the perpendicular bisector of [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{ab}[/itex], yielding an isosceles triangle inscribed in the three point circle. That didn't seem to help me. Is there a more useful approach?

Draw a new diagram. Also keep in mind the fact arg(p/q) = arg(p) - arg(q) . You should be able to see from the diagram why arg(z-a) - arg(z-b) is the angle <azb (on one side of the chord connecting ab at least). It then follows from the quoted theorem that the locus is the arc of a semi-circle.

Thanks a lot. This was a big help.

1. What is a locus in the complex plane?

A locus in the complex plane is a set of points that satisfy a given condition or equation in the form of z=x+iy, where z is a complex number, x is the real part, and y is the imaginary part.

2. How is a locus represented in the complex plane?

A locus is represented by a curve or shape in the complex plane, which can be plotted using the coordinates of the complex numbers that satisfy the given condition or equation.

3. What is the significance of a locus in the complex plane?

A locus in the complex plane helps to visualize the solutions to a given equation or condition and can provide insights into the behavior of the complex numbers involved. It is an important concept in complex analysis and has applications in various fields of science and engineering.

4. Can a locus in the complex plane be a straight line?

Yes, a locus in the complex plane can be a straight line if the condition or equation involves only real numbers or if the imaginary part of the complex numbers is constant. In this case, the locus would be a horizontal or vertical line on the complex plane.

5. How do you find the equation of a locus in the complex plane?

The equation of a locus in the complex plane can be found by identifying the condition or equation that the set of points satisfies and expressing it in the form of z=x+iy. The resulting equation will represent the locus in the complex plane.