Polyatomic ions and their charge

In summary: Thanks for trying to help! Aldo.The Selenium Oxygen double bond in the selenate ion gives it a charge of -2.
icefire23
This question is regarding polyatomic ions and their charge. I have always been told that I have to memorize the charge of polyatomic ions. The question is whether I can determine by myself the charge of two atoms when they join together to form a polyatomic ion. For example Se and O can form selenate SeO4, this polyatomic ion has a charge of -2. I would like to know why is the charge -2? But what I know the sum of all oxidation states of the joining ions must be equal to the net charge of the ion. But what happens then if I do not know the net charge of the ion? Hopefully these questions are not too silly. Thanks before hand, Aldo.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Selenate.png

Because the ion is like this. There is 1 unpaired electrons on 2 oxygen atoms, giving it a charge of 2-.

For these kinds of ions, just try pairing up their electrons to get a stable electron configuration until you only have unpaired electrons left. You can then deduce the charge of the whole ion from that.

Ok, seeing the bonds in the ion helped. Thank you very much for your help. So, when I have the SeO3 anion with a charge of -2, I would have 1 Selenium Oxygen double bond and two Selenium Oxygen single bonds, with an electron pair in the Selenium? Aldo.

yeap.

btw, what's aldo?

Thanks again for your help. Hahahaha..Aldo is just my name : )

Bloodthunder said:
Selenate.png

Because the ion is like this. There is 1 unpaired electrons on 2 oxygen atoms, giving it a charge of 2-.

For these kinds of ions, just try pairing up their electrons to get a stable electron configuration until you only have unpaired electrons left. You can then deduce the charge of the whole ion from that.

I still don't get how SeO4 acquires a charge of 2-. I don't understand the diagram above either. Please explain in more plain language.

1. What are polyatomic ions?

Polyatomic ions are groups of atoms that are held together by covalent bonds and have an overall electrical charge. They act as a single unit and have distinct chemical and physical properties from individual atoms.

2. How are polyatomic ions formed?

Polyatomic ions are formed through the sharing of electrons between atoms in a covalent bond. They can also be formed through the transfer of electrons between atoms in an ionic bond.

3. What is the charge of a polyatomic ion?

The charge of a polyatomic ion is determined by the number and type of atoms present in the ion. It can have a positive or negative charge, depending on whether it has gained or lost electrons.

4. Can polyatomic ions have multiple charges?

Yes, polyatomic ions can have multiple charges. This is because they can gain or lose different numbers of electrons, resulting in different overall charges.

5. What are some common examples of polyatomic ions?

Some common examples of polyatomic ions include nitrate (NO3-), sulfate (SO4^2-), and carbonate (CO3^2-). These ions are commonly found in compounds such as nitrates, sulfates, and carbonates.