Examining the Validity of Sexual Harassment Claims in the Media

• News
  • Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the media's tendency to give equal time to all stories, even small ones, and the story of a man who was accused of sexual harassment for tapping a female subordinate on the shoulder. The man believes it was blown out of proportion by the liberal media and that it will backfire on them. However, others point out that the physical contact is not necessary for it to be considered sexual harassment. Overall, there is a lack of trust in the media and concern about how Cain is handling the situation.

daveb said:
Unfortunately, (IMO) it happens all the time where a lawsuit is settled rather than taken to court, since it's easier to bank ona sure thing (the settlement) for both sides, rather than risk a jury's decision.

Edited to add: And not just sexual harrassment suits - pretty much any personal injury type suit as well.

Good point. Such settlements in no way either support or deny the accused party's guilt or innocence. It's simply legally, financially, and politically expedient to do so rather than drag things through a public trial.

Physics news on Phys.org

DoggerDan said:
Good point. Such settlements in no way either support or deny the accused party's guilt or innocence. It's simply legally, financially, and politically expedient to do so rather than drag things through a public trial.
How many such "settlements" might we expect to find about before we consider that Cain *might* be a creep who abuses women? He might be a swell guy, and fun to be around, but I'm not getting warm and happy feelings from the press that he's getting now.

turbo said:
...I'm not getting warm and happy feelings from the press that he's getting now.

Congrats, turbo - you're a child of the press, rather than a free-thinker.

turbo said:
How many such "settlements" might we expect to find about before we consider that Cain *might* be a creep who abuses women? He might be a swell guy, and fun to be around, but I'm not getting warm and happy feelings from the press that he's getting now.

I haven't seen, heard or read any reports indicating "warm and happy feelings from the press that he's getting now"?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/fourt...ual-harassment/story?id=14896935#.Tr0ToPQoExw
"Chicago Woman Claims Herman Cain Wanted Her to Trade Sex for Job"

Here's a Republican calling for him to quit the race.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ays-cain-should-quit-if-allegations-are-true/
"Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski told CNN on Tuesday she is "concerned" that the most recent charge of sexual harassment against Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain "is not an isolated incident" and that he should quit the race if there is any truth to the claims."

I wouldn't call these "warm and happy"? IMO - Cain needs to step back and evaluate his situation. Next, he needs to bring strategically placed suits against his accusers designed to flush out information regarding how and why they've come out of the closet after this much time. If he's innocent - let the chips fall where they may. If he has anything to hide - he should expect his bluff of a lie detector to be called. Either way, this distraction only helps one person - President Obama (IMO).

WhoWee said:
Next, he needs to bring strategically placed suits against his accusers designed to flush out information regarding how and why they've come out of the closet after this much time.
Regardless of whether you think the charges are true or false, there is only one possible reason why they come out after this much time. A lawsuit to flush out such information is a waste of the court's time.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Regardless of whether you think the charges are true or false, there is only one possible reason why they come out after this much time. A lawsuit to flush out such information is a waste of the court's time.

You're right - they have more important issues to consider - some involve spending of tax dollars.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20111011/7367/transgender-federal-prison-state-prison-inmates-regulation-surgery.htm [Broken]

"Recent revisions in the federal prison health system could signal big changes for a handful of transgender inmates suing states prison facilities for gender reassignment surgery.
In late September, The U.S. Bureau of Prisons, which regulates federal prison facilities, released revised rules allowing transgender inmates diagnosed with gender identity disorder who did not begin treatment before entering into federal custody will now be eligible for hormone therapy, specialized mental health counseling and possibly gender reassignment surgery while imprisoned."

Last edited by a moderator:

Person that says All rise: All rise.
Judge: You may be seated. Call your first witness.
Lawyer: I call Karen Kraushaar or however you say it.
Person that tells witnesses to take the stand: Karen Kraushaar please take the stand. Do you swear?
Kraushaar: S*** yeah.
Lawyer: How did you come out of the closet?
Kraushaar: By making an announcement.
Lawyer: Why did you come out of the closet after this much time?
Kraushaar: Because Cain didn't run for President until recently.
Lawyer: I have no further questions.
Judge: Let's adjourn for second breakfast.
Lawyer: But your honor, recent revisions in the federal prison health system could signal big changes for a handful of transgender inmates suing states prison facilities for gender reassignment surgery.
Judge: I should have gone to med school.

Last edited:

WhoWee said:
I haven't seen, heard or read any reports indicating "warm and happy feelings from the press that he's getting now"?

God I love the English language (not). This is a perfect example of how the same sentence can mean two totally different things to two different people. I interpreted this as turbo not getting any warm and happy feelings from the press coverage (i.e., the coverage Cain is getting is making turbo disgusted with Cain), but I can easily see how it could be interpreted as the warm and happy feelings the press (i.e., the institution of the press) is giving Cain.

WhoWee said:
Next, he needs to bring strategically placed suits against his accusers designed to flush out information regarding how and why they've come out of the closet after this much time.

It should be obvious why the ones that received a settlement took so long to "come out of the closet". "Staying in the closet" would usually be part of the settlement. Especially if the reason for the settlement was that the NRA would lose simply by having a hearing, win or lose. You don't settle for an entirely bogus claim. You settle because the story would be embarrassing regardless of its legality (or illegality, except in the latter, the accusers would probably be less willing to settle).

For the others? Who knows? It's not unheard of to be unwilling to be first victim to break the story. How is it that Penn State asst coach Jerry Sandusky's actions came to light because of what another coach knew and who he told and who they told? How come none of the victims raised complaints? (The really shocking part of that story was Sandusky was already being quietly investigated before McCreary witnessed the sexual abuse. McCreary's story would have been very valuable information for the authorities at that time.)

BobG said:
It should be obvious why the ones that received a settlement took so long to "come out of the closet". "Staying in the closet" would usually be part of the settlement. Especially if the reason for the settlement was that the NRA would lose simply by having a hearing, win or lose. You don't settle for an entirely bogus claim. You settle because the story would be embarrassing regardless of its legality (or illegality, except in the latter, the accusers would probably be less willing to settle).

For the others? Who knows? It's not unheard of to be unwilling to be first victim to break the story. How is it that Penn State asst coach Jerry Sandusky's actions came to light because of what another coach knew and who he told and who they told? How come none of the victims raised complaints? (The really shocking part of that story was Sandusky was already being quietly investigated before McCreary witnessed the sexual abuse. McCreary's story would have been very valuable information for the authorities at that time.)

Apples and oranges - Cain isn't being accused of anything beyond jestures, comments, and inappropriate external touching of an adult woman in a car (in public) and after drinks and a dinner date.

Jimmy Snyder said:
True. Anita Hill broke her silence after Thomas was nominated to the highest court in the land. If Cain harassed these women, they have every motivation to keep him out of the Oval Office. Why go public now and lay themselves open for attacks if they are insincere regarding the harassment charges? It will not benefit them personally, and could jeopardize their jobs, relationships, etc. It doesn't help that Cain is essentially calling all of them liars with no factual support. When a politician says something like "this has all been put behind us", you can bet that like the Great Oz, he doesn't want anybody looking behind the curtain.

turbo said:
True. Anita Hill broke her silence after Thomas was nominated to the highest court in the land. If Cain harassed these women, they have every motivation to keep him out of the Oval Office. Why go public now and lay themselves open for attacks if they are insincere regarding the harassment charges? It will not benefit them personally, and could jeopardize their jobs, relationships, etc. It doesn't help that Cain is essentially calling all of them liars with no factual support. When a politician says something like "this has all been put behind us", you can bet that like the Great Oz, he doesn't want anybody looking behind the curtain.

I'll be the pessimist - they might just hope to make some money. We still don't know why Atty Gloria's client went to see Cain the weekend of October 1 at the TEACon event - or what she wanted?

As for Anita Hill:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0385476272/?tag=pfamazon01-20

"After her astonishing testimony in the Clarence Thomas hearings, Anita Hill ceased to be a private citizen and became a public figure at the white-hot center of an intense national debate on how men and women relate to each other in the workplace. That debate led to ground-breaking court decisions and major shifts in corporate policies that have had a profound effect on our lives--and on Anita Hill's life. Now, with remarkable insight and total candor, Anita Hill reflects on events before, during, and after the hearings, offering for the first time a complete account that sheds startling new light on this watershed event."

Bush has come out of the closet announcing that in 2004 when Cain's presidency at the NRA was long over he canceled the space shuttle program. Cain claims that he can't recall the incident.
http://news.yahoo.com/cain-criticizes-obama-space-exploration-165435922.html"

Jimmy Snyder said:
Bush has come out of the closet announcing that in 2004 when Cain's presidency at the NRA was long over he canceled the space shuttle program. Cain claims that he can't recall the incident.
http://news.yahoo.com/cain-criticizes-obama-space-exploration-165435922.html"

Cain's obviously not an expert on the space program.

"I can tell you that as president of the United States, we are not going to bum a ride to outer space with Russia," Cain said to loud applause. "We're going to regain our rightful place in terms of technology, space technology."

So I assume that means Cain would be against using American Atlas V rockets that use Russian RD-180 engines to put objects into space?

Actually those type of comments are meaningless, as most of the candidates running for President probably don't know all that much about rockets and satellites. If there's any lesson to be learned, it's that candidates often say dumb things just because they sound good to people that know as little as the candidates do.

DoggerDan said:
The media feels it needs to give every item "equal time." Thus, a presidential sneeze gets 30 seconds, the same as bronchitis. I once had the "audacity" to tap a female subordinate on the shoulder to get her attention. Why did I have to touch her? She was wearing earphones on the job, which entailed monitoring and using radios, which she couldn't hear because she was listening to her iPod. Before I tapped her on her shoulder, I queried her twice, once in a normal tone of voice, the second rather loudly, much louder than the radios she was supposed to be monitoring. One guess as to her response to my directing her to ditch her iPod while on the job. Fortunately, two witnesses were right there and emphatically supported the truth, so her idiotic effort backfired before it began. The fact that she claimed sexual harassment despite the fact that two witnesses were right there underscores her idiocy. Perhaps she thought it might help keep her from being fired.

Nope.

As for Cain, no physical contact was involved, which tells me it's the liberal, ant-right media which is digging up this speck of dust and shouting it from the mountaintops. This behavior gives the media a VERY bad name, as well as anyone else who joins in the shouting.
Cain's a joke. Perry's a joke. Paul's a joke. Just my opinion of course. Do you want guy's like this running the country? Did I mention Romney and Obama. Yeah, they're jokes/tools also. Just my opinion of course. We've already experienced what such lightweights can render. GW Bush -- a veritable disaster for the US. Obama -- a veritable extension of Bush.

I don't care if Cain sexually harassed 100 women, because even if he's completely pure and wonderful, he's still not qualified to be president, imo.

ThomasT said:
Cain's a joke. Perry's a joke. Paul's a joke. Just my opinion of course. Do you want guy's like this running the country? Did I mention Romney and Obama. Yeah, they're jokes/tools also. Just my opinion of course. We've already experienced what such lightweights can render. GW Bush -- a veritable disaster for the US. Obama -- a veritable extension of Bush.

I don't care if Cain sexually harassed 100 women, because even if he's completely pure and wonderful, he's still not qualified to be president, imo.

Have you ever googled "Joe Biden gaffes" - lots of results. If he weren't just (1) heartbeat away it would be funny.
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/joebiden/a/bidenisms.htm

"Bidenisms
Dumb Joe Biden Quotes and Gaffes"

"Joe Biden Gaffe Blooper Mix"

"Biden Gaffe: Asks a Gentleman in a Wheelchair to Stand Up"

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001074-503544.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/18/biden-reveals-location-secret-vp-bunker/
"Vice President Joe Biden, well-known for his verbal gaffes, may have finally outdone himself, divulging potentially classified information meant to save the life of a sitting vice president.
According to a report, while recently attending the Gridiron Club dinner in Washington, an annual event where powerful politicians and media elite get a chance to cozy up to one another, Biden told his dinnermates about the existence of a secret bunker under the old U.S. Naval Observatory, which is now the home of the vice president."

WhoWee said:
Have you ever googled "Joe Biden gaffes" - lots of results. If he weren't just (1) heartbeat away it would be funny.
Thanks. I forgot about Biden. You can include him in my list also. :smile:

What's weird about Biden is that he didn't seem so loopy prior to becoming VP (at least you never heard about it)> What is it about becoming VP that turns people loopy (Ok Cheney was probably the only one in recent history that wasn't loopy - he just scared the Bejeesus outta me). However, we should keep this thread about Cain.

daveb said:
What's weird about Biden is that he didn't seem so loopy prior to becoming VP (at least you never heard about it)> What is it about becoming VP that turns people loopy (Ok Cheney was probably the only one in recent history that wasn't loopy - he just scared the Bejeesus outta me). However, we should keep this thread about Cain.
Yes, the well known VP Loopy Factor. :smile: And the well known fact that Cheney was/is in league with the Prince of Darkness.

Whoops ... back on topic.

Cain has a new problem. He fumbled, Perry style, through answering a question about whether he agreed with Obama's handling of the Libya stuff. Apparently he's not doing his homework. Strike two.

ThomasT said:
Cain has a new problem. He fumbled, Perry style, through answering a question about whether he agreed with Obama's handling of the Libya stuff. Apparently he's not doing his homework. Strike two.

He appeared very distracted and (quite honestly) it seemed I was watching an actor who forgot his lines. NEXT!

WhoWee said:
He appeared very distracted and (quite honestly) it seemed I was watching an actor who forgot his lines. NEXT!

Could it be he pulled an Obama, where he fumbled without benefit of his teleprompter?

DoggerDan said:
Could it be he pulled an Obama, where he fumbled without benefit of his teleprompter?

I like Cain and thought his participation was good. Although more of an insider than perceived - he brings a fresh perspective. Unfortunately, this video is a nightmare.

WhoWee said:
I like Cain ...
I don't. At least not for national public office. Now, if he was running for some local office in my area, then I'd probably vote for him, and even contribute to his campaign. That is, he seems eminently buyable.

So he hit on a few women. So what. The truth of this seems to me to be transparently evident. We've all hit on women. It's normal. It's natural. Problem is that now he's running for 'President'. So, I'm sure he's kicking himself in the butt, figuratively speaking. "Why wasn't I just a bit more careful", he might be saying to himself.

Anyway, this harassment stuff isn't why I don't like Cain. It's that he's just such a lightweight. Make that, uh, bantamweight. No, flyweight. Is there a category that's lighter than that?

ThomasT said:
I don't. At least not for national public office. Now, if he was running for some local office in my area, then I'd probably vote for him, and even contribute to his campaign. That is, he seems eminently buyable.

So he hit on a few women. So what. The truth of this seems to me to be transparently evident. We've all hit on women. It's normal. It's natural. Problem is that now he's running for 'President'. So, I'm sure he's kicking himself in the butt, figuratively speaking. "Why wasn't I just a bit more careful", he might be saying to himself.

Anyway, this harassment stuff isn't why I don't like Cain. It's that he's just such a lightweight. Make that, uh, bantamweight. No, flyweight. Is there a category that's lighter than that?

In a twisted way, I think the severity of the charges in the Penn State matter have given Cain cover. Rubbing the leg of a grown woman after dinner and drinks hardly compares to the alleged activity by the former coach with young boys.

ThomasT said:
I don't. At least not for national public office.

So Obama, with a few years of law practice and half a senate term under his belt is more qualified to run our country than the CEO of a major corporation?

How do you figure that?

So he hit on a few women.

That's been alleged, and as has been pointed out, a significant number of such allegations wind up being false.

The truth of this seems to me...

It's not seeming that way to many of the rest of us.

Compared to Cain, I'd have to say "Obamaweight," if there were such a category.

DoggerDan said:
So Obama, with a few years of law practice and half a senate term under his belt is more qualified to run our country than the CEO of a major corporation?

How do you figure that?
I don't figure that. I don't like Obama or any of the candidates of the major parties. Definitely won't be voting for either a Democrat or a Republican in the next presidential election.

DoggerDan said:
That's been alleged, and as has been pointed out, a significant number of such allegations wind up being false.
And a significant number of such allegations wind up being true. Cains obviously a player.

DoggerDan said:
It's not seeming that way to many of the rest of us.
Then you're just being naive, imho.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of examining the validity of sexual harassment claims in the media?</h2><p>The purpose of examining the validity of sexual harassment claims in the media is to ensure that the claims being made are based on factual evidence and not just speculation or hearsay. It is important to distinguish between actual instances of sexual harassment and false accusations in order to protect the rights of both the accuser and the accused.</p><h2>2. How are sexual harassment claims typically portrayed in the media?</h2><p>Sexual harassment claims are often sensationalized in the media, with a focus on the accuser's story and the alleged perpetrator's reputation. This can lead to bias and misinformation, making it difficult to determine the truth behind the claims.</p><h2>3. What factors should be considered when examining the validity of sexual harassment claims?</h2><p>When examining the validity of sexual harassment claims, it is important to consider the evidence presented, the credibility of the parties involved, and any potential motives for making false accusations. It is also important to approach the investigation with objectivity and avoid making assumptions based on stereotypes or biases.</p><h2>4. How does the media's coverage of sexual harassment claims impact public perception?</h2><p>The media's coverage of sexual harassment claims can greatly influence public perception and can contribute to the stigma surrounding victims of sexual harassment. It is important for the media to report on these issues responsibly and accurately, in order to avoid perpetuating harmful stereotypes and biases.</p><h2>5. What are the potential consequences of false sexual harassment claims?</h2><p>False sexual harassment claims can have serious consequences for both the accuser and the accused. It can damage the reputation and career of the accused, while also undermining the credibility of legitimate claims. It is important to thoroughly examine the validity of claims in order to prevent these potential consequences.</p>

1. What is the purpose of examining the validity of sexual harassment claims in the media?

The purpose of examining the validity of sexual harassment claims in the media is to ensure that the claims being made are based on factual evidence and not just speculation or hearsay. It is important to distinguish between actual instances of sexual harassment and false accusations in order to protect the rights of both the accuser and the accused.

2. How are sexual harassment claims typically portrayed in the media?

Sexual harassment claims are often sensationalized in the media, with a focus on the accuser's story and the alleged perpetrator's reputation. This can lead to bias and misinformation, making it difficult to determine the truth behind the claims.

3. What factors should be considered when examining the validity of sexual harassment claims?

When examining the validity of sexual harassment claims, it is important to consider the evidence presented, the credibility of the parties involved, and any potential motives for making false accusations. It is also important to approach the investigation with objectivity and avoid making assumptions based on stereotypes or biases.

4. How does the media's coverage of sexual harassment claims impact public perception?

The media's coverage of sexual harassment claims can greatly influence public perception and can contribute to the stigma surrounding victims of sexual harassment. It is important for the media to report on these issues responsibly and accurately, in order to avoid perpetuating harmful stereotypes and biases.

5. What are the potential consequences of false sexual harassment claims?

False sexual harassment claims can have serious consequences for both the accuser and the accused. It can damage the reputation and career of the accused, while also undermining the credibility of legitimate claims. It is important to thoroughly examine the validity of claims in order to prevent these potential consequences.