Bohr model question - transition between first excited state and ground state

In summary, the energies of the allowed states in a hydrogenlike ion with atomic number Z are given by E(n) = (-13.6eV) (Z^2/n^2). To find the wavelength associated with the transition between first excited state and ground state of hydrogen-like helium (He+), we can use the equation E(n) = (-13.6eV) (Z^2/n^2) and sub in 2 for Z (4 for Z^2), with n=1 for ground state and n=2 for first excited state. Then, we can calculate the difference between E(n=1) and E(n=2) to find the energy of the photon. Finally, we can use
daleklama

Homework Statement

In a hydrogenlike ion with atomic number Z, the energies of the allowed states are given by

E(n) = (-13.6eV) (Z^2/n^2)

What is the wavelength asociated with the transition between first excited state and ground state of hydrogen-like helium? (He+)

Homework Equations

E = hf = hc/Lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Hydrogen like helium is He+ which has 2 protons and 1 electron. Atomic number Z is 2.
So I'd sub in 2 for Z (4 for Z^2), but I don't know what to choose n as.
I assume n=1 for ground state and n=2 for first excited state.
An idea I had was to do it twice - sub in n=1 and complete the equation, sub in n=2 and complete the equation, and... take them away?
I'm not sure :(

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
daleklama said:
Hydrogen like helium is He+ which has 2 protons and 1 electron. Atomic number Z is 2.
So I'd sub in 2 for Z (4 for Z^2), but I don't know what to choose n as.
I assume n=1 for ground state and n=2 for first excited state.
An idea I had was to do it twice - sub in n=1 and complete the equation, sub in n=2 and complete the equation, and... take them away?
I'm not sure :(

Thanks very much.

n is the principle quantum number, which goes like, n = 1 for ground state, 2 for 1st excited state, 3 for 2nd excited state and so on, so your assumption is correct. Now you'll have the energies for both the ground and first excited states. So, doing the second step you suggested would be correct, too. You need the difference in their energy states, after all.

Yes, calculate the difference between E(n=1) and E(n=2). That is the energy of the photon. Then find the wavelength that corresponds to that energy.

Thanks both, I understand :)

One question though, does it give me the (energy) answer in ev? I assume it does since ev is the unit of the -13.6.
And then, do I need to convert both to Joules, then take them away, and then find corresponding wavelength?

Thanks again.

=daleklama said:

Z and n are just plain numbers, without any units, and 13.6 is in eV, so yep. :wink:

daleklama said:
Thanks both, I understand :)

One question though, does it give me the (energy) answer in ev? I assume it does since ev is the unit of the -13.6.
And then, do I need to convert both to Joules, then take them away, and then find corresponding wavelength?

Thanks again.
This depends on which kind of values you are using for the equation [itex]E = hc/\lambda[/itex], i.e the unit of c and h. The answer units for [itex]\lambda[/itex] will vary accordingly. Just make sure all the variables, E, h, c have the same type of units, or you'll have to convert them. Its usually a good idea to stick to SI units, though.

1. What is the Bohr model?

The Bohr model is a simplified atomic model proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the structure of atoms. It is based on the concept that electrons orbit the nucleus at specific energy levels, or shells, and can transition between these levels by absorbing or emitting energy.

2. How does an electron transition between the first excited state and ground state in the Bohr model?

When an electron transitions from the first excited state to the ground state, it releases energy in the form of a photon. This energy is equal to the difference in energy between the two states. The electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, releasing energy in the process.

3. What is the energy difference between the first excited state and ground state in the Bohr model?

The energy difference between the first excited state and ground state varies depending on the element. In general, the energy difference decreases as the atomic number increases, meaning that it takes less energy for an electron to transition between the two states in heavier elements.

4. How is the Bohr model useful in understanding atomic structure?

The Bohr model provides a simplified visual representation of the structure of atoms, which can help in understanding how electrons are arranged in relation to the nucleus. It also explains the concept of discrete energy levels and how electrons transition between them, which is crucial in understanding atomic behavior in chemical reactions and other processes.

5. Is the Bohr model still used in modern science?

While the Bohr model is not an accurate representation of atomic structure, it is still used as a teaching tool and as a basis for more advanced atomic models. It helped lay the foundation for understanding atomic structure and is an important part of the history of atomic theory.