Does anyone know some graduate program of NMR

In summary: If it is the chemical analysis modality, there are many programs that specialize in chemical analysis with NMR. Some of them are located in the chemistry department, while others are located in the physical sciences department.
Haixu
Hi, everyone.
I am a junior student major in physics, and after an internship in a NMR lab this summer, I am really interested in this field, and I decided to learn it in my graduate program. Does anyone know any program of nmr, cos I find out that most of these programs are set up by medical department not by the physics department.
I really need some recommendations to apply in 2013 fall, and I am not a very ambitious person, so small size program is also fine.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume that you've had to read or at least seriously skim through some journal articles in the course of your internship that are relevant to your work. Have you started to look up the authors of those papers, and of the papers that they cite, for some idea as to who the interesting researchers are in your field?

Having said that, you may want to also keep an eye out for materials/physical chemists who do NMR - I can think of a few who aren't structural bio/biophysics types without too much difficulty. Unless you *really* don't want to go slumming with the chemists...

So you want to specialize in just NMR? I've heard of no program that will specialize you in just one experimental technique.

eXorikos said:
So you want to specialize in just NMR? I've heard of no program that will specialize you in just one experimental technique.

er...Thank you for your reply, maybe I did not put it clearly enough, the lab I worked in are doing some research like designing new type of NMR, or instrument designing, I find that is cool.

Thank your a lot, until now I haven't been in touch with biophysics or chemistry, I have no background of these. So do I have to take some related courses in my undergraduate education? And I will be a senior student in September, maybe it is kind of too late. The Sub GRE will cost me a lot of time to prepare in November.
And I will check out the articles I've read.
Thanks!

Haixu said:
er...Thank you for your reply, maybe I did not put it clearly enough, the lab I worked in are doing some research like designing new type of NMR, or instrument designing, I find that is cool.

What NMR is it? Medical imaging or chemical analysis?

If it is the medical imaging modality, the closest thing you can find is some medical imaging program, that deals not only with NMR. You will not find any program just about NMR either way. Medical imaging is something that is on the boundary between many different branches of science. Where I study, there is a multidisciplinary research department of physicists, engineer, doctors, biomedical researchers ... with its offices inside the hospital. Therefore the program is also located in the medical faculty.

Thank you, first I have no medical or biology background in my undergraduate experience. And second i am a little worried that any programs related to medical subject are extremely crowded. I prefer to NMR imaging by the way, I had a image processing experience with one of my professor in fringe filter.

1. What is NMR?

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) is a scientific technique used to study the structure and properties of molecules by analyzing the magnetic properties of atomic nuclei.

2. What are some graduate programs that offer NMR as a focus or specialization?

Some graduate programs that offer NMR as a focus or specialization include chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, and materials science. Some universities also have specific NMR research centers or facilities.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program in NMR?

The length of a graduate program in NMR can vary depending on the specific program and the student's pace. Generally, it can take anywhere from 2-5 years to complete a master's degree and 4-7 years to complete a PhD in NMR.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a graduate degree in NMR?

Graduates with a degree in NMR may have career opportunities in industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, materials science, and environmental science. They may also pursue careers in academia as researchers or professors.

5. Are there any specific prerequisites or qualifications needed for a graduate program in NMR?

Prerequisites and qualifications may vary depending on the specific program, but most graduate programs in NMR typically require a strong background in chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Some programs may also require prior research experience or a certain GPA.