PH, pKa, pI, and net charge of amino acids

It is also possible to use the pI (isoelectric point) value of the amino acid to determine the net charge at a specific pH, but this method may not be as accurate as using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
momolemur
okay well basically this is what i know or think i know:

i have the pKa's of the carboxyl, amino, and R group of the amino acid and the pH of the solution it is in. I'm supposed to figure out the net charge for it at different pHs. i taught myself one way to do it (by looking **** up) and i was told by a friend how to do it his way. it was working fine for me until i found an amino acid (cysteine) that the two methods gave me different answers for. so my question is how am i actually supposed to do this?

what i thought was that i am supposed to look at each pK value and see if it is > or < pH of the solution. if pKa<pH that means that the acid gets deprotonized and it becomes negatively charged (or if was positively charged it would lose its charge) and if pKa > pH it would be protonized. and i have to add up all the charges at the end to get the net charge of the amino acid.

what my friend told me was that I have to look at the pI value and see where the amino acid has an overall charge of 0. then I'm supposed to see where the pKa values were and where the pH is. if the pH <pI value I have to see how many pka values are inbetween the pI and the pH and this would be a negative net charge because it's to the left and more acidic. when pH>pI, it's the same thing but to the right and positive

can anyone explain this to me? it worked for arginine and histidine but when i got to cysteine, each approach gave me a different answer

Chemistry news on Phys.org
.The best way to figure out the net charge of an amino acid is to use a Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. This equation takes into account all of the relevant pKa values and the pH of the solution in order to calculate the net charge of the amino acid. It is important to note that some amino acids, such as cysteine, have multiple ionizable groups which can give different results depending on the pH of the solution. In these cases, it is best to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to ensure accurate results.

What is the definition of pH and how is it related to amino acids?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is defined as the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. Amino acids are molecules that contain both acidic and basic functional groups, and the pH of a solution can affect their net charge and overall structure.

What is pKa and how does it relate to amino acids?

pKa is the measure of the strength of an acid. It is defined as the pH at which an acid is 50% dissociated. Amino acids have specific pKa values for their acidic and basic functional groups, which can affect their net charge at different pH levels.

What is pI and why is it important for understanding amino acids?

pI, or isoelectric point, is the pH at which an amino acid has no net charge and exists as a zwitterion. This is important because it determines the overall charge and structure of the amino acid, which can affect its function and interactions with other molecules.

How does the net charge of an amino acid change with pH?

The net charge of an amino acid is dependent on the pH of the solution. At a pH below the pKa of its acidic functional group, the amino acid will have a positive net charge. At a pH above the pKa of its basic functional group, the amino acid will have a negative net charge. At the pI, the amino acid will have no net charge.

What is the relationship between the net charge of an amino acid and its structure?

The net charge of an amino acid can affect its structure through electrostatic interactions. Amino acids with a positive net charge may be attracted to negatively charged molecules, while amino acids with a negative net charge may be attracted to positively charged molecules. This can impact the folding and stability of proteins, as well as their interactions with other molecules.