Solving Gamma-Ray & X-Ray Photon Questions: Help Needed

• Thread starter siresam88
  • Start date
In summary, the wavelength of a gamma-ray photon with an energy of 1.6*10^-15 J is approximately 1.2*10^-10 m. For part b, the speed of transmission and ability to penetrate a given material is the same for both x-ray and gamma-ray photons with identical energies. The terms x-ray and gamma-ray are often used interchangeably, with the source of the radiation influencing what it is called.
siresam88
A Problem To far !

6a) Calculate the wavelength of a gamma - ray photon which has an energy of 1.6 *10-15

6b) An x ray is generated which has the same energy as the gamma ray described in part(a) compare these two photons of thier:

(i) Speed of transmission in a vacuum.

(ii) Ability to penetrate a given material.

If somebody could help me with these questions i would be delighted

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but:
Energy of the wave is equal to plank's constant by the frequency,
E=hf
And the velocity is equal to the wavelength by the frequency
V=fλ
So you get:λ=(Vh)/E
If you're in a vacuum, V=c, the speed of light in a vacuum, otherwise you need a ratio of refraction.
However, when this is computed with the 1.6*10^-15 J (Joules I'm assuming), you get about 1.2*10^-10 m, which is in the X-ray part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Part b is a trick question. It's supposed to illustrate that x and gamma are both photons, and if the energy of the two photons is identical there no difference between them. The terms xray and gamma ray are somewhat interchangable. We tend to call the low energy end x and the high gamma, but there is a lot of overlap. The source of the radiation influences what we call it also. For example, we tend to call photons from nuclear decay gamma and from electonic equipment xray (like your dentist's xray machine)

1. How do I determine the energy of a gamma-ray or x-ray photon?

To determine the energy of a gamma-ray or x-ray photon, you can use the equation E = hf, where E is the energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds), and f is the frequency in hertz. Alternatively, you can use the equation E = hc/λ, where c is the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 meters per second) and λ is the wavelength in meters.

2. How do I convert between energy in joules and electron volts for gamma-ray and x-ray photons?

To convert between energy in joules and electron volts (eV), you can use the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 joules. For example, if you have an energy of 2.5 x 10^-15 joules, you can convert it to eV by multiplying by the conversion factor: 2.5 x 10^-15 joules x (1 eV / 1.602 x 10^-19 joules) = 1.561 x 10^4 eV.

3. Can I use the same equations for calculating the energy of gamma-ray and x-ray photons?

Yes, the equations E = hf and E = hc/λ can be used to calculate the energy of both gamma-ray and x-ray photons. However, the values of h and c may differ slightly depending on the source of the photons.

4. How do I know which equation to use for calculating the energy of a gamma-ray or x-ray photon?

The equation you use to calculate the energy of a gamma-ray or x-ray photon depends on the information you have available. If you know the frequency of the photon, use E = hf. If you know the wavelength, use E = hc/λ. If you do not know either, you may need to use other information, such as the energy of the photon in other units, to calculate the frequency or wavelength first.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about solving gamma-ray and x-ray photon questions?

One common misconception is that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its wavelength. While there is an inverse relationship between wavelength and energy, it is not a direct proportionality. Additionally, some may confuse the terms frequency and wavelength when solving these types of questions, as they are related but not interchangeable.