A ball thrown over a house(Projectile Motion)

In summary, the problem involves throwing a ball from one wall of a house to another, with a certain distance and height between the walls. The minimum speed required for the ball to clear the roof is 13.3 m/s. To determine the angle at which the ball should be thrown, the range formula can be used if the height of the house is calculated and the initial and final heights are subtracted. A helpful resource for understanding the geometric interpretation of the solution to part B is provided. The original poster has since figured out the solution.
cde42003
Can anyone help me out with the second half of this problem? I did it awhile ago and as I am trying to review for a test I can't remember how I solved it.

You're 6.0 m from one wall of a house. You want to toss a ball to your friend who is 6.0 m from the opposite wall. The throw and catch each occur 1.0 m above the ground.

A.What minimum speed will allow the ball to clear the roof? I know this is 13.3 m/s

B. At what angle should you toss the ball? I can't seem to figure this part out now. I am sure it is not that difficult but I am stumped. Can anyone refresh my memory? Thanks

Attachments

• knight_Figure_06_34.jpg
    knight_Figure_06_34.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 866
Physics news on Phys.org
Short answer: use the range formula. [But only use it if you understand how to derive it.]

First you will need to calculate the height of the house- then subtract 1 to allow fo the initial and final heights (are you kneeling while throwing the ball?) and the horizontal distance between yourself and your friend. Now, use the height and distance (x and y) components so the the maximum height of the ball is at least as large as the height of the house and the horizontal distance is equal to the distance between you and your friend.

On topic, but probably not what the original poster wants...
http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/math/parabola.htm .
The first figure suggests an interesting geometric interpretation of the answer to part B [at what angle should the ball be thrown to just clear the roof].

Thanks, I figured it out now.

Last edited:

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, propelled by an initial force and then subject to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

How does a ball thrown over a house demonstrate projectile motion?

When a ball is thrown over a house, it follows a curved path due to the forces of gravity and air resistance acting on it. This curved path is an example of projectile motion.

What factors affect the trajectory of a ball thrown over a house?

The trajectory of a ball thrown over a house is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force.

How can the equations of motion be used to calculate the trajectory of a ball thrown over a house?

The equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, can be used to calculate the trajectory of a ball thrown over a house by taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time of flight.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, launching a rocket, and hitting a golf ball. Projectile motion is also used in sports like baseball and basketball, as well as in military and engineering applications.