The Product of Rational Numbers

In summary, based on the definition of a rational number as a quotient of integers, the product of two rational numbers will always be rational. This can be seen by simply multiplying two rational numbers and observing that the result is still in the form of a quotient of integers.
abbeyofthelema
I've been grinding my brain at this problem because I am trying to figure out if the product of two rational numbers is always, never, or sometimes rational. a rational number would either have to terminate, or be infinitely periodic, so i would say that the product of two rational numbers is always rational, but i can't say this for sure :(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can't prove it, but its true.

coolio

well thank you, is there any particular reason that you believe it to be true?

abbeyofthelema said:
I've been grinding my brain at this problem because I am trying to figure out if the product of two rational numbers is always, never, or sometimes rational. a rational number would either have to terminate, or be infinitely periodic, so i would say that the product of two rational numbers is always rational, but i can't say this for sure :(
Simply use the definition of a rational number.

A rational number can be written in the form:

[tex]\frac{a}{b}[/tex],
with a and b integers and b not equal to zero.

Suppose you have two rational numbers. Compute their product (and their sum while you're at it). Is the result again of the above form?

Yes. If you want to try to prove something, then 100% of the time your best bet for a first step is to write down the definitions of the things you're working with :wink:

The fact that rationals happen to be the set of all reals with periodic limiting behaviour in their decimal representations is a derived property. The definition of a rational number is just that it can be represented as a quotient of integers.

definitely

that's great. so then the product of two rational numbers must always be rational :)

Def:
[tex]\frac{a}{b} ~ , ~ ~ a, b \in \mathbb{N} [/tex]
It's easy to see that a product of two natrual number must be natrual, thus
[tex] \frac{a}{b} ~ * \frac {c}{d} ~ = ~ \frac{ac}{bd}, ~ ~ a, b, c, d \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]
Setting ac to a and bd to b in the def. finish the proof.

What is a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be written as a ratio of two integers, with the denominator not equal to zero. This includes both positive and negative fractions, as well as whole numbers and integers.

How do you find the product of rational numbers?

To find the product of two rational numbers, you simply multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. For example, if you want to find the product of 3/4 and 2/5, you would multiply 3x2=6 and 4x5=20, giving you a product of 6/20, which can be simplified to 3/10.

What is the relationship between the product of two rational numbers and their factors?

The product of two rational numbers is equal to the product of their factors. For example, if you have the numbers 2/3 and 4/5, their product is 2/3 x 4/5 = (2x4)/(3x5) = 8/15. This shows that the product is equal to the product of their numerators and the product of their denominators.

How do you simplify the product of rational numbers?

To simplify the product of two or more rational numbers, you can first simplify each individual number and then multiply them together. You can also factor the numbers and cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator to simplify the product.

What is the importance of understanding the product of rational numbers in real life?

The concept of the product of rational numbers is important in many real-life situations, such as in cooking, calculating discounts and sales, and understanding proportions and ratios. It is also crucial in more advanced mathematical concepts, such as algebra and geometry.