Can Scanning My Hand with Light Harm It?

In summary, a man is concerned about the potential harm of scanning his hand with a strong light. However, others assure him that it is safe and not strong enough to cause harm. The conversation then shifts to discussing strange things people have done with scanners, including photocopying body parts and even pets. The group speculates on what motivates these actions and suggests precautions, such as wearing sunglasses, to prevent potential harm.
lwymarie
if i put my hand on the scanner and scan my hand, do u think the strong light will harm my hand? because i really want to scan my hand, but i don't know whether it is harmful.

Biology news on Phys.org
No, its regular light.

I don't think it would be harmful at all.

It's not strong enough to sunburn you is it?

A man, trying to discourage trespassers, put up signs around his property saying "Caution! Unprotected personnel may suffer radiation damage!"

When his neighbors complained (wondering exactly what he had on his property), he responded "Hey, it's true! If you run around here naked, you might get sunburned!"

Last edited by a moderator:
ive known people who would put other body parts on a scanner :biggrin:

So have I. People do strange things! :bugeye:

Has anyone ever wondered what motivates these people to behave the way they do? Sometimes I think there is a gene for weirdness. Especially in my family! :wink:

so that means.. i can scan my hand??

yes you can

cronxeh said:
ive known people who would put other body parts on a scanner :biggrin:
and then there are those who insist on putting their pets in the scanner.
Tips for Performing Good Cat Scans

What do you mean "in the scanner"? Moonbear's gerbils are powering all my electronics appliances :uhh:

a news article states that a man photocopy his face and then he got blind.
so if i scan my face, will i get blind?

wear sunglasses with a uv rateing?

OMG the cat scan was sooo funny

The blink reflex should be sufficient to prevent any damage to your eyes.

1. Can scanning my hand with light harm it?

It is highly unlikely that scanning your hand with light will cause harm. The amount of light used in typical hand scanning devices is minimal and does not emit harmful levels of radiation.

2. What type of light is used in hand scanning?

In most cases, hand scanning devices use near-infrared light, which is a type of light that is not visible to the human eye. This type of light is commonly used in medical imaging and is considered safe for use on human skin.

3. Are there any potential risks associated with hand scanning?

There are no known risks associated with hand scanning using light. However, some people may experience discomfort or irritation if they have sensitive skin or are allergic to certain materials used in the device.

4. Can hand scanning with light cause cancer?

No, hand scanning with light does not cause cancer. The amount of light used in hand scanning is not strong enough to damage DNA or cause mutations, which are the main causes of cancer.

5. Is hand scanning with light safe for pregnant women?

Yes, hand scanning with light is considered safe for pregnant women. The amount of light used in these devices is minimal and does not pose any known risks to the mother or fetus.