Trouble with bachelor's thesis

• Thread starter vysethecoward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thesis
In summary, it is very important to have a working relationship with your advisor. They should be able to offer guidance on just about anything, and they will not do the work for you.
vysethecoward
What is expected from a bachelor's thesis (for engineering)? My adviser won't tell me and the guidelines/marking scheme don't say anything.

Also are advisers only meant to give "high level" advice (e.g. what areas to study) rather than technical stuff? Or is it the other way around? I don't know either way, but I'm worried that if I ask him the wrong thing then he'll take away marks from the "conduct" section of my grade (worth 12 %). Although I've already turned up to about 3 meetings not knowing anything, so I've probably lost most of those.

I've also done close to no work and have to hand in the report in around 60 days. Is this feasible?

I'm not a complete waster going on here as a last ditch thing, I've always had really good grades, even last term when I didn't revise well. That lack of work and zero motivation in the revision period has continued into this term.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at old bachelor's theses and see what they did.
Maybe it's too late now, but consider switching advisors.

vysethecoward said:
I'm worried that if I ask him the wrong thing then he'll take away marks from the "conduct" section of my grade (worth 12 %).
Wow. You need a working relationship. How is it that you're so far off?
It's really hard to give advice without witnessing what is going on. Certainly, at a minimum, you need to be free to ask questions. What (very specifically) makes you think that some questions of your adviser are taboo?

It doesn't say much for the program if students are worried about asking their advisors for advice due to a lack of clarity.

For reference, the way these things usually work is that you and your advisor should agree on a project. Generally when I've done this as an advisor, I like to see the student come to me with ideas - even if they are vague. We then figure out an outline and some specific project goals. From there we decide on a methodolgy to meet those goals. Usually by the end of the first meeting, I like to have a reasonably clear roadmap on how we expect to get from where we are to the project goal. (These things of course don't always go as planned, but having an initial plan at least allows you to get your wheels spinning.)

Advisors should be there to advise on just about anything - high level or specific details. What they cannot do is do the work for you. In this respect it may to some students feel as if they are not to be bothered with details, but advisors will often draw a line at going over material that the student is expected to know (or be able to look up).

First of all, I want to acknowledge that it can be challenging and overwhelming to work on a bachelor's thesis, especially if you are not receiving clear guidance from your adviser. I understand the importance of having a clear understanding of the expectations for a thesis and the role of your adviser in the process.

In general, a bachelor's thesis in engineering is expected to demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research, analyze data, and present your findings in a clear and organized manner. It should also showcase your understanding of the relevant theories and principles in your field of study. The specific requirements for a bachelor's thesis may vary depending on your institution and program, so it is important to consult with your department or program guidelines to get a better understanding of what is expected.

Regarding the role of your adviser, it is important to communicate with them and clarify their expectations. While advisers may provide guidance and suggestions on the overall direction of your research, it is ultimately your responsibility to conduct the research and produce a thorough and well-written thesis. However, your adviser should be able to provide you with technical advice and support when needed. It is important to have open communication with your adviser and to ask for help or clarification when necessary.

In terms of your concerns about losing marks for the "conduct" section of your grade, I would suggest discussing this with your adviser and asking for specific feedback on what they expect from you in terms of conduct. This will help you understand their expectations and avoid any misunderstandings.

Finally, it is important to assess the feasibility of completing your thesis in the given time frame. It may be helpful to break down the remaining tasks and create a realistic timeline to ensure that you can complete the work on time. It is also important to prioritize and focus on the most important tasks first.

In summary, my advice would be to communicate openly with your adviser, clarify the expectations for your thesis, and create a realistic plan to complete the work on time. Good luck with your thesis!

1. What is a bachelor's thesis?

A bachelor's thesis is a research project or written report completed by a student in their final year of undergraduate studies. It is usually required in order to obtain a bachelor's degree.

2. What are some common challenges with writing a bachelor's thesis?

Some common challenges with writing a bachelor's thesis include selecting a suitable topic, conducting thorough research, organizing and analyzing data, and maintaining a clear and concise writing style.

3. How long should a bachelor's thesis be?

The length of a bachelor's thesis can vary depending on the specific requirements of the university or department. However, it is typically between 40-60 pages in length.

4. When should I start working on my bachelor's thesis?

It is recommended to start working on your bachelor's thesis as early as possible, ideally in the final year of your undergraduate studies. This will allow for enough time to conduct research, write and revise the thesis, and meet any deadlines.

5. How can I ensure the success of my bachelor's thesis?

To ensure the success of your bachelor's thesis, it is important to carefully plan and manage your time, seek guidance and feedback from your supervisor, and stay organized throughout the writing process. It is also helpful to regularly review and revise your work to ensure it meets the necessary requirements and standards.