How Do You Correctly Name Chemical Complexes?

In summary, the naming of these substances follows specific rules based on the order of ligands and the oxidation state of the central ion. The names for the compounds are tetrachlorocuprate (II), diamminesilver (II) ion, monosulfatetetraamminecopper (II), and trichlorohexaaquoaluminum (III).
msdel
I must name these substances

a) [Cu(Cl4)]^2-
b) Ag(NH3)2+
c) Cu(NH3)4SO4-
d) Al(H2))6Cl3

Now I have read the rules regarding naming these,
-Within the brackets the order- negative-charge, neutral and central.
-The number of each ligand is indicated by greek prefixes
-oxidation state of central ion as roman numeral
-if the complex species is negative, the name of the central atom ends with the suffix-ate.

As far as I am concerned I have come up with some rather creative names for these. I don't think I am doing it right, some help understanding this would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) tetrachlorocuprate (II)
b) diaminosilver (II) (I think...)
c) tetraaminocupricsulphate (spaces? hyphens?)
d) hexahydrogenaluminumchloride (?)

All just guesses :P

Nerro said:
d) hexahydrogenaluminumchloride (?)

All just guesses :P

No, d) Al(H2))6Cl3 should definitely be d) Al(H2O)6Cl3 which means I think it is just hydrated aluminium chloride AlCl3.6H2O (aluminium chloride hexahydrate). But if that's not the same thing, then I'd have to call Al(H2O)6Cl3 hexa-aquaaluminate chloride.

I think b) is ammono not amino. amino is something organic to me.

Shouldn't c) then be tetraammonocopper sulphate? (If the - sign is wrongfully there - Otherwise I don't know - tetraammonocopper(I) sulphate? Is this an ion?? Should we even call it monosulphate?)
I think tetraammonocupric sulphate would be the salt [Cu(NH3)4]2SO4.

Last edited:
Nomenclature

The names should be:

a) [Cu(Cl4)]2-
tetrachlorocuprate (II) ion
because the chlorine is a negative atom, so its named first, and there is no neutral atom so the central ion (the positive atom) is named second and since the charge difference between the four chlorines (4-) and the actual charge of the molecule is 2+, that means the copper has (II) in its name. The total charge is negative so you add "-ate" to the end, and you get cuprate (because you use the latin part of the name for this so it wouldn't be, say, ironate but ferrate).

b) Ag(NH3)2+
diamminesilver (II) ion
because there is no negative atom, and there is a neutral one ((NH3)2) and there is two of them, so ammine turns into diammine (and its spelled correctly, I checked). The next atom is the central one and so we name it silver, and since the charge of the molecule is 1+ and the charge of ammonia is 0, the charge of the silver molecule must be 1+, hence the silver (I) part. This is not a negative compound so there is no "-ate" added.

c) Cu(NH3)4SO4 (a neutral compound)
Monosulfatetetraamminecopper (II)
because we are supposed to name the stuff in brackets first, but since there are no brackets, we don't separate the names. First comes the negative ligand (one sulfate so its monosulfate), then the netural one (four ammonias so its tetraammine - having the two "a"s in the name beside each other doesn't matter), and then the central ion (the positive one - in this case, copper and since the neutral ligand has no charge, while there is a charge of 2- from the sulfate, that means it is followed by (II)).

d) Al(H20)6Cl3 (a neutral compound)
Trichlorohexaaquoaluminum (III)
because there are no brackets, we include the chlorine in the naming. First name the negative ligand (Cl3 so its trichloro) then the neutral ligand (six times H20 so its hexaaquo) and lastly the central ion (aluminum and since the charge of the compund is zero, the charge of the neutral ligand is zero, and the negative charge of three chlorine atoms is 3-, then aluminum is followed by (III) for a 3+ charge).

Last edited:

1. What is chemical nomenclature?

Chemical nomenclature is the system of naming and organizing chemical compounds based on their composition and properties. It is used to create a standardized way of identifying and classifying substances in the field of chemistry.

2. Why is it important to learn chemical nomenclature?

Chemical nomenclature is important because it allows scientists to communicate effectively about chemical compounds. By using a standardized naming system, scientists can avoid confusion and ensure accurate identification of substances.

3. How do I name an ionic compound?

To name an ionic compound, you will need to identify the cation (positively charged ion) and anion (negatively charged ion) present. The name of the cation is written first, followed by the name of the anion with the suffix -ide. For example, NaCl is named sodium chloride.

4. What is the difference between a systematic name and a common name?

A systematic name is a name given to a compound according to the rules of chemical nomenclature, while a common name is a name that is commonly used but not based on a specific set of rules. Systematic names are preferred in scientific contexts as they provide more precise information about the compound.

5. Are there exceptions to the rules of chemical nomenclature?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rules of chemical nomenclature. For example, some compounds have retained their common names due to historical significance or widespread use. Additionally, some compounds have multiple acceptable names due to regional or historical variations.