Which dielectric constant in media?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a complex epsilon in representing the relationship between D and E in Maxwell's equations, as well as the confusion surrounding the nature of conductivity sigma. It is noted that in optics, it is common to use a convention where H=B and that sigma is typically complex due to temporal and spatial dispersion. The conversation also mentions that sigma and epsilon can be represented as tensors and that different definitions may be used as long as they are consistent.
swooshfactory
Hi,

In deriving a complex wave vector for waves in media, an equation D = ε E is typically used. Later though, it is common to relate D and E through a complex ε which is generally written as εcomplex = ε + 4 pi i σ / ω.

It seems a contradiction to insert one relationship into the Maxwell equations and then explain how really it's another, where a complex epsilon allows for a phase shift between D and E.

I'm also confused whether the σ here is necessarily complex; in the constituitive relation used to derive it, we had j = σ E and from the Dressel Electrodynamics of Solids book and the Wooten online optical solid state book he identifies σ as real.

See, for example, http://web.mit.edu/course/6/6.732/www/6.732-pt2.pdf pages 2-3.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of D and H, in contrast to E and B, is convention. What is physical is the current density j. Part of it may be expressed as either the divergence of polarization P or rotation of the magnetization M. In different situations different conventions are useful.
Nowadays in optics one mostly uses a convention where H=B, see e.g.
http://siba.unipv.it/fisica/articoli/P/PhysicsUspekhi2006_49_1029.pdf
As to your question whether conductivity sigma is real or complex, it is clearly complex in general. That reflects the fact that the current may be out of phase with the electric field.

Last edited by a moderator:
swooshfactory said:
I'm also confused whether the σ here is necessarily complex; in the constituitive relation used to derive it, we had j = σ E and from the Dressel Electrodynamics of Solids book and the Wooten online optical solid state book he identifies σ as real.

I did some reading on this. As long as you epsiloncomplex is a scalar, one often splits it into it's real part epsilon and the imaginary term depending on real sigma.
However, generally these quantities are tensors. Then it is usual to take the epsilon as the hermitian part of epsiloncomplex and the sigma dependent part as the antihermitian part. Both epsilon and sigma are then hermitian but eventually complex.
There may be many different definitions which does not matter as long as you use it consistently.

This didn't quite answer my question. In the Wooten text, he inputs a constant of proportionality between j and E as sigma and then defines a complex sigma and that is then the constant of proportionality between j and E, reflecting that they are out of phase.

I think the answer is also alluded to by him, the in the space/time representation sigma (and epsilon) for that matter is really a linear operator (he shows this after 2.67). In Fourier space, we have the more simple relationship j = sigma E where sigma is some number which is obtained by plugging in for omega.

I think the answer is here, but I haven't been able to see through it yet.

Yes, due to temporal and spatial dispersion, the product form j=sigma E makes only sense in Fourier space. I took this for granted as it is in Fourier space where complex quantities appear most naturally.

1. What is a dielectric constant?

A dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is a dimensionless quantity that compares the amount of stored energy in a material to the amount of energy that would be stored in a vacuum.

2. How is the dielectric constant measured?

The dielectric constant is typically measured using a capacitor, which consists of two conductive plates separated by a material. The capacitance of the capacitor is then compared to the capacitance of the same plates separated by a vacuum, and the ratio of the two values gives the dielectric constant of the material.

3. Why is the dielectric constant important?

The dielectric constant is important in many areas of science and engineering, including electronics, material science, and chemistry. It determines the strength of the electric field that can be supported in a material, and is used to calculate the energy stored in capacitors and the force between electrically charged objects.

4. How does the dielectric constant vary in different media?

The dielectric constant can vary significantly depending on the material and the conditions, such as temperature and pressure. In general, non-polar materials have a lower dielectric constant than polar materials, and solids have a higher dielectric constant than gases or liquids.

5. What factors affect the dielectric constant in a material?

The dielectric constant of a material is affected by its molecular structure, polarity of its molecules, and the presence of impurities. Temperature, pressure, and frequency of the electric field also have an impact on the dielectric constant. In addition, the dielectric constant can be changed by applying an external electric field to the material, a phenomenon known as dielectric polarization.