Is the following the only reason why |x| ≠ ±x?

• Thread starter Turion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, the debate about whether |x| is unconditionally equal to ±x arises due to the fact that ±x is not a well-defined notation, while |x| is clearly defined. While ±x is often used as shorthand, it is not a true function like |x| is. Therefore, it is best to avoid using ±x until a better understanding of functions and branch cuts is gained.
Turion
Assumption: |x| is unconditionally equal to ±x.

This makes sense because if you take a look at a graph of y=|x|, and plot any horizontal line y=C where C is some constant, you will always have two solutions: one is positive and one is negative.

But if we substitute any number into x, then we realize that this actually contradicts:

|x| = ±x
Let x = 2
|2| = ±2
2 = ±2
2 = 2 OR 2 = -2

Am I missing something or is the only reason why they aren't unconditionally equal?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
That final statement is true, isn't it? So I don't see an issue there.

I think the problem you are running into is that "±x" isn't well-defined notation, whereas |x| is unambiguously defined. People often use it as shorthand, as you have done, for example in statements like "The solution of x² = 4 is x = ±2", but that is just an informal way of saying "The solutions of x² = 4 are x = -2 and x = +2".

You could write "The solution of x² = 4 is |x| = 2" but that is technically something different - what you are saying then is: "The solutions to the equation x² = 4 are the same as the solutions to the equation |x| = 2" (and the solutions to both equations are x = 2 and x = -2).

the modulus of x equals x if x is non-negative and -x if x is less than zero. It does not equal ±x.

The equation mod(x)=2 has the solutions x= ± 2

CompuChip said:
That final statement is true, isn't it? So I don't see an issue there.

Opps. I've corrected the mistake.

2 = 2 OR 2 = -2

has been changed to:

2 = 2 AND 2 = -2

since ±2 is positive 2 AND negative 2.

CompuChip said:
I think the problem you are running into is that "±x" isn't well-defined notation, whereas |x| is unambiguously defined. People often use it as shorthand, as you have done, for example in statements like "The solution of x² = 4 is x = ±2", but that is just an informal way of saying "The solutions of x² = 4 are x = -2 and x = +2".

You could write "The solution of x² = 4 is |x| = 2" but that is technically something different - what you are saying then is: "The solutions to the equation x² = 4 are the same as the solutions to the equation |x| = 2" (and the solutions to both equations are x = 2 and x = -2).

Hmm... interesting perspective. I suppose it might be a syntax issue.

mathsman1963 said:
the modulus of x equals x if x is non-negative and -x if x is less than zero. It does not equal ±x.

The equation mod(x)=2 has the solutions x= ± 2

You mean absolute value function instead of modulus function right?

The issue is that you don't know if x is negative or non-negative.

Turion said:
since ±2 is positive 2 AND negative 2.

No, it can only have one value. "x = 2 and x = -2" does not make sense, as a variable can only have one value at the time.
As I said, it is usually used as shorthand for "+2 or -2".

CompuChip said:
No, it can only have one value. "x = 2 and x = -2" does not make sense, as a variable can only have one value at the time.
As I said, it is usually used as shorthand for "+2 or -2".

Hmm... you're right. I changed it back.

Turion said:
You mean absolute value function instead of modulus function right?

The issue is that you don't know if x is negative or non-negative.

That is the same with x in ##x^2=4##. Is it an issue for you there?

CompuChip said:
That is the same with x in ##x^2=4##. Is it an issue for you there?

Hmm..., right again.

mathsman1963 said:

How does it not equal ±x? It's equal to +x or -x depending on whether x is non-negative or negative.

Turion said:
How does it not equal ±x? It's equal to +x or -x depending on whether x is non-negative or negative.
Because ±x is a multivalued function of x with two branches while |x| is a true function of x. Note that the term "multivalued function" is a bit of a misnomer. A multivalued function is not a function.

D H said:
Because ±x is a multivalued function of x with two branches while |x| is a true function of x. Note that the term "multivalued function" is a bit of a misnomer. A multivalued function is not a function.

So the difference is that |x| has the condition and gives you the right solution depending on the condition and ±x just says either +x OR -x but it doesn't give you the condition?

Turion said:
So the difference is that |x| has the condition and gives you the right solution depending on the condition and ±x just says either +x OR -x but it doesn't give you the condition?
No, the difference is that |x| represents a single number. ±x represents two numbers, as long as x isn't 0.

Can I give you some advice?

Actually, I'm going to do it anyway :-p

As long as you don't completely understand "±x", avoid using it. As I pointed out before, it does not have any formal definition like |x| does - it is merely used as shorthand. For the time being, I would suggest that you focus on getting the basics right. Writing "x = -2 V x = 2" is hardly more work than "x = ±2", it is unambiguous and it doesn't confuse anyone, including yourself.

Once you have properly learned about functions and branch cuts you may be more sloppy :-)

1. What is the definition of absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always positive or zero, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. Why can't the absolute value of a number be equal to both the positive and negative value?

The definition of absolute value states that it is always positive or zero. Therefore, it cannot be equal to both the positive and negative value of a number at the same time.

3. Can the absolute value of a number ever be equal to the number itself?

Yes, the absolute value of a positive number is equal to the number itself. For example, the absolute value of 5 is 5.

4. What is the significance of using |x| ≠ ±x in mathematical equations?

This notation is used to represent the fact that the absolute value of a number cannot be equal to both the positive and negative value. It is commonly used in solving equations involving absolute value.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that |x| ≠ ±x?

No, the absolute value of a number can never be equal to both the positive and negative value. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and there are no exceptions to this rule.