Register to reply

Coherent state between a fermion and a photon

by sugeet
Tags: coherent, fermion, photon, state
Share this thread:
sugeet
Sep16-13, 12:01 AM
P: 54
Can we have a coherent state between a fermion and a photon! I mean can there ever be a fermionic polariton?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Zarqon
Sep16-13, 04:16 AM
P: 229
You may have to clarify your question a bit. Imagine a simple atomic system with one electron in a magnetic field. The photon can interact with the system by flipping the electrons spin from down to up, total change of spin by 1, but the electron remains a fermion. What situation were you thinking of? What part of the system should be fermionic?
sugeet
Sep16-13, 07:30 AM
P: 54
Thank you Zarqon for replying, I did some search and got my answer.
The Wiki page says :"The polariton is a bosonic quasiparticle, and should not be confused with the polaron, a fermionic one, e.g. an electron plus attached phonon cloud. ".

Precisely something I was looking for, if you are still interested we can discuss

DrDu
Sep16-13, 08:43 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,553
Coherent state between a fermion and a photon

Note also that you cannot have a superposition of states with an even and odd number of fermions.
This is calles univalence superselection rule. It is easiest to see from the fact that such a superposition is not invariant (not even up to a phase) under a rotation by 2π.

Register to reply