Field Transformations work forwards but not backwards?

In summary, the conversation discusses field transformations between different reference frames and how they may not always result in the same magnetic field. It is revealed that the transformations being used are low speed approximations, which may explain any discrepancies. The conversation ends with the realization that the Galilean transformation equations are based on the approximation v^2/c^2 = 0.
Physics_5
I got the right answer for this example problem going from reference frame A to B but when I use those fields to go back from B to A I don't get the same magnetic field I started with.

Do field transformations only work one way? Surely not? I don't see how forces could be the same if this were the case

Link to example problem: http://imgur.com/GCQeayW

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have made a mistake because the field transforms work both ways. Hard to help you though since you couldn't be bothered to tell us what calculations you've made so far...

After looking at the example you linked I realize that the transformations you're using are the the low speed approximations. These are not exact. That might explain any discrepancies you may have found. Hard to tell because, again, you did not give us much explanation about the problem you're confronted with.

Sorry for not posting calculations. I just read the next section and it addressed my concern. My reasoning was not wrong. The problem is that I was using the Galilean transformation equations, which I did not know we're based on the approximation v^2/c^2 = 0. Thanks everyone for helping.

I can assure you that field transformations do not work only one way. It is possible that there may have been a mistake in your calculations or in the way you applied the transformation equations. It is important to carefully check all the steps in your calculations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is possible that there may be other factors at play, such as external forces or changes in the environment, that could affect the magnetic field. I would recommend revisiting the problem and double-checking your calculations, and if you are still unable to get the same magnetic field, further investigation may be needed to understand the discrepancy. However, it is important to remember that the fundamental principles of field transformations do hold true and can be applied in both directions.

1. Why is it that field transformations only work forwards and not backwards?

The reason for this is because field transformations involve changing the coordinates of a vector or field. This change in coordinates is irreversible, meaning that once a transformation is applied, it cannot be undone. This is why field transformations only work in one direction.

2. Can't we just apply the inverse transformation to reverse it?

No, the inverse transformation does not necessarily reverse the original transformation. The inverse transformation only undoes the change in coordinates, but the physical properties of the vector or field remain the same. Therefore, the original transformation cannot be reversed using its inverse.

3. Are there any exceptions where field transformations can work backwards?

Yes, there are some special cases where field transformations can work backwards. One example is the identity transformation, where the coordinates remain unchanged. In this case, the transformation can be applied in both directions without any change in the vector or field.

4. Why is it important to understand the limitations of field transformations?

Understanding the limitations of field transformations is crucial in many scientific fields, particularly in physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of physical systems and make informed decisions based on these predictions. It also helps us avoid errors and ensure the validity of our calculations and experiments.

5. Can we use field transformations in reverse by using a different approach?

No, there is no other approach that can be used to reverse a field transformation. However, there are alternative methods that can achieve a similar result, such as using symmetries or conservation laws. These methods are specific to certain systems and may not always be applicable.