Powering a Micropump System: Solutions for 100 Volts

• Thread starter pekpek
  • Start date
In summary: What is the application? What are the specs you are trying to achieve with your micropump?The application is to create a pump that can be used to power a micropump system. The specs are to achieve a material deflecting up to 50mm.
pekpek
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to power a micropump system that requires 100 volts. I looked at some current micro batteries, and their voltages range between 2 - 4 volts.

I am confused on how to provide enough power. Do I just use several batteries in series or use a voltage multiplier or both? Is there a more efficient way to power this type of device? The system I am trying to create is similar in dimension to a pacemaker.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi
welcome to PF

a micropump that requires 100V ?

have you go a link to the datasheet for your particular pump ?

cheers
Dave

Thanks, Dave. It is a piezoelectric pump that we created using CAD. I don't have a datasheet for the pump.

pekpek said:
Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to power a micropump system that requires 100 volts. I looked at some current micro batteries, and their voltages range between 2 - 4 volts.

I am confused on how to provide enough power. Do I just use several batteries in series or use a voltage multiplier or both? Is there a more efficient way to power this type of device? The system I am trying to create is similar in dimension to a pacemaker.

pekpek said:
Thanks, Dave. It is a piezoelectric pump that we created using CAD. I don't have a datasheet for the pump.

What is the application? What are the specs you are trying to achieve with your micropump?

pekpek said:
Then how did you arrive at the requirement of 100V?

Edit; wait, did you pick/calculate it yourself based on the amount you want your material to deflect?

pekpek said:
I am confused on how to provide enough power.
Voltage is not power. How many watts? How much current flow do you need at 100V?

1. How does a micropump system work?

A micropump system works by using a piezoelectric actuator to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, creating a pressure differential that pushes fluid through the pump. This allows for precise control and movement of small volumes of liquid.

2. What are the main challenges in powering a micropump system?

The main challenges in powering a micropump system include achieving high enough voltages to create the necessary pressure differential, while also maintaining low power consumption and avoiding electrical breakdown. Additionally, the small size of micropumps can make it difficult to integrate power sources and control systems.

3. What are some solutions for powering a micropump system at 100 volts?

Some solutions for powering a micropump system at 100 volts include using high voltage amplifiers, voltage boosters, or stacked piezoelectric actuators. These methods can provide the necessary voltage while also maintaining low power consumption.

4. How can the power consumption of a micropump system be reduced?

The power consumption of a micropump system can be reduced by using more efficient piezoelectric materials, optimizing the design of the pump and control circuitry, and implementing power saving techniques such as duty cycling or using lower voltage levels.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a power source for a micropump system?

When selecting a power source for a micropump system, factors such as voltage requirements, power consumption, size and weight constraints, and integration with control systems should be considered. Additionally, the power source should be stable and reliable to ensure consistent performance of the micropump system.