Alternative to a PC and Laptop for notetaking/websurfing?

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop pc
In summary, Microsoft is planning to release cheaper laptops running Windows this holiday season, in an effort to compete with Google's Chromebooks.
christian0710
Hi, When I’m studying for long hours and taking notes on my 24” IPS-panel, power-consuming PC-screen I often feel like my eyes dry out fast and sometimes my body feels ill. This happens much faster than if I read my chemistry/science books without my computer turned on. However I need something for taking notes digitally.

What Am I looking for?
A smaller all-in-one-screen like an ipad (or a bit bigger) which is handy, and can be used only for searching words and explanations online and taking notes in a program like Office words. So I want it to start up fast if I need to look up words, and then I want to be able to turn it off after I looked up the word so I can continue reading my book. A good attachable keyboard and mouse would is also required for the machine.

Can someone help me find this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Some sort of tablet ... I've seen people make great portable use of galaxy note.
I've used an Asus Transformer so I can type longer missives without the keyboard hogging the screen.
Some tablets can be loaded with a gruntier, more full-featured OS than Android too.

You'll struggle to find just the right balance of functionality and UI - go to a store and try stuff out.
I'd just say: avoid Apple.

note: there are ways to adjust your desktop or laptop screen for easier reading and use so it doesn't tire out your eyes so much.

I'd have to second the Galaxy Note series.

I have both a 1st and 2nd gen iPad along with a Note 3. A good friend has a Note 10.1 and let's me play with it from time to time. Awesome product. I use the S Pen on my Note 3 quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snG-ZcMi5zM

Check out the XE700T1A (win7) and XE700T1C (win8) Core-i5-based tabletPCs from Samsung
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/computing/tablet-pcs/explore

looks like a deal on the older
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/XE700T1A-A05US

christian0710 First there is a problem if your screen is making you ill ! Most likely your screen is too bright causing your eyes to squint. You need to adjust the brightness according to the light around you, a bright screen in a low lit area is bad for your eyes.

2nd. I came across this today that might interest you.
Microsoft is aiming straight for Google’s Chromebooks this holiday season. At the company’s partner conference today, Microsoft COO Kevin Turner revealed that HP is planning to release a $199 laptop running Windows for the holidays. Turner didn’t provide specifications for HP’s "Stream" device, but he did detail $249 laptop options from Acer and Toshiba. Acer’s low-cost laptop will ship with a 15.6-inch screen and a 2.16GHz Intel Celeron processor, and Toshiba’s includes a 11.6-inch display. It appears that Intel’s Celeron chips will help Microsoft’s PC partners push out cheaper devices in the race to the bottom
Turner also revealed that HP is planning to release 7- and 8-inch versions of its new "Stream" PCs for $99 this holiday season, both running versions of Windows

1. What are the advantages of using an alternative to a PC or laptop for notetaking and websurfing?

There are several advantages to using an alternative device for notetaking and websurfing. These can include portability, longer battery life, and lower cost. For example, devices such as tablets or smartphones are smaller and lighter than laptops, making them easier to carry around. They also tend to have longer battery life, which is beneficial for long work or study sessions. Additionally, many alternative devices are more affordable than traditional laptops, making them a cost-effective option.

2. What are the limitations of using an alternative device for notetaking and websurfing?

While there are many advantages, there are also some limitations to using an alternative device for notetaking and websurfing. One limitation is the smaller screen size, which may make it difficult to view multiple windows or tabs at once. Another limitation is the lack of a physical keyboard, which may make typing more difficult for some users. Additionally, alternative devices may not have as much storage or processing power as a traditional laptop, limiting their capabilities for certain tasks.

3. Can alternative devices be as efficient as a PC or laptop for notetaking and websurfing?

It depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user. Alternative devices can be just as efficient as traditional laptops for basic notetaking and websurfing tasks. However, they may not be as suitable for more complex tasks that require a larger screen, more storage, or specialized software. It is important for individuals to evaluate their specific needs and choose a device that best fits those needs.

4. Are there any specific features to look for when choosing an alternative device for notetaking and websurfing?

Yes, there are certain features that can make an alternative device more suitable for notetaking and websurfing. These include a larger screen size, a physical keyboard, and a longer battery life. It is also important to consider the device's storage and processing power, as well as its compatibility with necessary software and applications. Additionally, some devices offer stylus compatibility, which can be helpful for taking handwritten notes.

5. Can alternative devices be used for other tasks besides notetaking and websurfing?

Yes, alternative devices can be used for a variety of tasks, depending on their capabilities. Many devices offer additional features such as video and photo editing, gaming, and social media use. Some alternative devices, such as 2-in-1 laptops or detachable tablets, can also be used as traditional laptops for more complex tasks. However, it is important to research and understand the specific features and limitations of each device before making a purchase.