How would I find the inverse laplace transform

In summary: L}\int_0^1 e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta+\int_1^t e^{-(t-\beta)}d\betawith e^{-(t-\beta)} being the exponential function.For the interval [2,3]:i(t)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^2 e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta+\int_1^t e^{-(t-\beta)}d\betawith e^{-(t-\beta)} being the exponential function.For the interval [3,4]:i(t)=\
mathwurkz
Hi How would I find the inverse laplace transform of this?

[tex] I(s) = \left( \frac{1}{s(1+e^{-s})}\right) \left( \frac{1}{Ls+R}\right)[/tex]
[tex]i(t)=?[/tex]

L, R are constants. I recognize the first term to be a geometric progression (square-wave function). With an infinite number of terms in that progression I don't think I could use convolution here. I could also try partial fractions but don't know how to do it with that exponential in the denominator. Someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathwurkz said:
Hi How would I find the inverse laplace transform of this?

[tex] I(s) = \left( \frac{1}{s(1+e^{-s})}\right) \left( \frac{1}{Ls+R}\right)[/tex]
[tex]i(t)=?[/tex]

L, R are constants. I recognize the first term to be a geometric progression (square-wave function). With an infinite number of terms in that progression I don't think I could use convolution here. I could also try partial fractions but don't know how to do it with that exponential in the denominator. Someone please help.

Well I don't know if I've become too reliant on Mathematica but what I would do would be first to see what it reports, then work backward to see how it was figured out. But Mathematica can't solve it; suppose I could review all the techniques I can think of but well, curious if it's a simple matter that just the math jocks at Wolfram can't.:smile:

The original question was to solve a differential equation for i(t) for LR series electrical circuit...

[tex]L \frac{di(t)}{dt} + Ri(t) = E(t)[/tex]

Given the condition i(0) = 0 and E(t) is the square wave function.

So I looked up the square wave function and got E(t) = 1 - H(t-1) + H(t-2) - H(t-3)... where H(t) is the heavisdie function.And taking the LT of that, I get [tex] \frac{1}{s(1+e^{-s})}[/tex]

So when I take the LT of the differential equation I got what I wrote above in post 1.

Ya just the trouble is now getting i(t).

I don't have any of the math programs so it's all lecture notes, pencil and paper i have to work with.

And so why not a convolution? When I convolve them, I get:

[tex]i(t)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^t E(\beta)e^{-R/L(t-\beta)}d\beta[/tex]

But doesn't that integral have to be evaluated to get the answer? That's what I can't evaluate. Hence, I went looking to try partial fractions which I can't get either.

mathwurkz said:
But doesn't that integral have to be evaluated to get the answer? That's what I can't evaluate. Hence, I went looking to try partial fractions which I can't get either.

So we got:

[tex]i(t)=\frac{1}{L}\int_0^t E(\beta)e^{-R/L(t-\beta)}d\beta[/tex]

with E(t) being a square-wave.

For now, let's just let L and R both be 1:

What is i(t) in the interval [0,1]? Wouldn't that just be:

[tex]i(t)=\int_0^t e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta\quad\text{for}\quad t\in[0,1][/tex]

What about in the interval [1,2]? So that would be:

[tex]i(t)=\int_0^1 E(\beta)e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta+\int_1^t E(\beta)e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta[/tex]

but the second integral is zero because E(t) is zero in that region so:

[tex]i(t)=\int_0^1 e^{-(t-\beta)}d\beta\quad\text{for}\quad t\in[1,2][/tex]

Can you figure out what i(t) would be for the next interval?

Last edited:

1. How do I find the inverse Laplace transform using a table?

To find the inverse Laplace transform using a table, you need to first identify the Laplace transform of the function you are working with. Then, look up the corresponding inverse Laplace transform in the table. If the inverse Laplace transform is not listed in the table, you can use partial fraction decomposition and other techniques to simplify the function and find a match in the table.

2. Can I use algebraic manipulation to find the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, you can use algebraic manipulation to find the inverse Laplace transform. This involves using properties and rules of Laplace transforms, such as linearity, shifting, and differentiation, to simplify the function and find a match in the table or use other techniques to find the inverse Laplace transform.

3. Is there a general formula for finding the inverse Laplace transform?

There is no single, general formula for finding the inverse Laplace transform. However, there are several techniques that can be used, such as using a table, algebraic manipulation, partial fraction decomposition, and contour integration, depending on the complexity of the function being transformed.

4. How do I know if my answer for the inverse Laplace transform is correct?

To check if your answer for the inverse Laplace transform is correct, you can use properties and rules of Laplace transforms to transform your answer back to the original function. If the two functions match, then your answer is correct. Additionally, you can use numerical methods and software to verify your answer.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when finding the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions when finding the inverse Laplace transform. For example, functions with singularities or discontinuities may require different techniques to find the inverse Laplace transform. Also, some functions may not have an inverse Laplace transform, as the transform may not exist or may be too complex to find.