Calculating Buoyancy Force: A Question Explained

In summary, the question involves a container of water, a scale, and a piece of copper with a specific gravity of 8.9 that is suspended in the water without touching the bottom. The buoyant force exerted by the water will reduce the force on the string and ultimately change the reading on the scale. To find the new weight, one must calculate the volume of the copper coin and use that to determine the amount of water displaced by it.
cathliccat
I have a question that reads "A container of water is placed on a scale and the scale reads 120g. Now a 20 g piece of copper (specific gravity = 8.9) is suspended from a thread and lowered into the water but does not touch the bottom of the container. What will the scale now read round off to the nearest whole number?"

This has to do with buoyancy force, but I'm not sure what to do here. The buoyancy force is equal to the amount displaced, so is it equal to 20g?

Can someone help me get started on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by cathliccat
This has to do with buoyancy force, but I'm not sure what to do here. The buoyancy force is equal to the amount displaced, so is it equal to 20g?
No.
Hint: how much water was displaced by the copper?

The weight should be less than the weight of the copper coin because the coin sinks, and there is still tension on the string.

If you think of it in terms of the force of the string, then you initially have the string holding the entire weight of the coin(*), but when the coin is in the water, there is a bouyant force that acts to reduce the amount of force on the string. That buyant force is being exerted by the water, so the change in the force on the scale is equal to the change in the force on the string.

(*)Technically, there is a buyant force due to air, but it is so small that it is negligible in most situations.

I still don't know what to do. The water displaced: would that be 120-20 = 100?

Can you calculate the volume of the coin?

1. How is buoyancy force calculated?

The buoyancy force is calculated by multiplying the volume of the displaced fluid by the density of the fluid and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the equation for calculating buoyancy force?

The equation for calculating buoyancy force is FB = ρVg, where FB is the buoyancy force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect buoyancy force?

The factors that affect buoyancy force include the density of the fluid, the volume of the displaced fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. The shape and size of the object also play a role in determining the buoyancy force.

4. How does the buoyancy force affect the floating or sinking of an object?

If the buoyancy force is greater than the weight of an object, it will float. If the buoyancy force is less than the weight of an object, it will sink. The buoyancy force helps to determine whether an object will float or sink in a fluid.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating buoyancy force?

The calculation of buoyancy force has various real-world applications, such as determining the weight capacity of a ship, designing submarines and other underwater vehicles, and understanding the behavior of hot air balloons and other floating objects. It is also used in the study of ocean currents and weather patterns.