Chem Question, Reaction Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with reaction rates and how to find the rates of production for P4 and H2 in a specific experiment. The individuals in the conversation determine that using coefficients and proportions is the best method for solving the problem.
Chromium
Could someone could help me with this reaction rate problem?
4PH3(g) ------- P4(g) + 6H2(g)
If, in a certain experiment, over a specific time period, 0.0048 mol PH3 is consumed in a 2.0 L container each second of reaction, what are the rates of production of P4 and H2 in this experiment.
I'm almost certain I have to use the coefficients in order to find the answer, but I'm having some difficulty in making any connections.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I finally got it, first you have to divide 2.0 into 1.0, thus making .0048 into .0024, then use a proportion with the coefficients to get the answers.

yeah, you're on the right track, but this is particularly easy case since you're concerned with the rate of the reaction during a time range during which the rate is constant.

Last edited:

1. What is a chemical reaction rate?

A chemical reaction rate is the speed at which a chemical reaction occurs. It is determined by the rate at which reactants are converted into products.

2. What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, presence of a catalyst, and nature of the reactants.

3. How is the rate of a chemical reaction measured?

The rate of a chemical reaction is typically measured by the change in concentration of reactants or products over time. This can be done by monitoring the physical changes, such as color or temperature, or by using analytical techniques such as spectrophotometry.

4. What is the difference between instantaneous rate and average rate?

The instantaneous rate of a chemical reaction is the rate at a specific moment in time, while the average rate is the overall rate over a period of time. Instantaneous rate can be calculated by finding the slope of a tangent line on a concentration vs. time graph, while average rate is calculated by dividing the change in concentration by the change in time over a specific interval.

5. How can the rate of a chemical reaction be increased?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be increased by increasing the temperature, concentration of reactants, or surface area, or by using a catalyst. By providing more energy or increasing the frequency of collisions between reactant molecules, the reaction rate can be increased.