Looking for a Valentine's Day gift? What about this diamond ring?

In summary, the conversation included a discussion about the desired characteristics of a potential partner, including intelligence, attractiveness, and physical fitness. The topic of jewelry and gemstones was also brought up, with various members expressing their preferences for different stones. One member also mentioned wanting a place of their own and a new guitar.
Lisa! said:
What a compromise! :bugeye:
At least can you buy that ring??

Isn't it just? :cool: Hmmm. I could probably buy that ring. Whether or not I would want to spend that amount of money on a hunk of metal with rocks in it, is something I would have to ponder over, which shouldn't take too long seeing as I have a potential IQ of over 400!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
I should have known $1400 is ALOT in a physics forum!:bugeye:

For a piece of (useless) jewelry, it is a lot. I don't know where are you from, but I think that in most countries it takes fair amount of work to earn $1400 as a (full time) student. If a $1400 isn't a lot for you, why don't you buy it yourself ?

Lisa! said:
Ah come on! First of all I don't expect an intelligent guy to go out on a blind date. So let say he decides to date a girl since he already knows her enough and now decides to date her because he knows she's her kind of woman.Now he should do his best to attract this girl to himself by buying gifts,... o:) (Nope, gifts doesn't work in my case very well but then again this ring might be different!:biggrin: )

Yeah... but gifts like chocolate, stuffed animals or something like a pillow shaped like heart, certainly not diamond ring (well... maybe fake one :biggrin: ). I have a friend who studies molecular biology, who mentioned she likes stuffed animals shaped like some bacteria or viruses (they really don't look that bad :smile: ).

Lisa! said:
A very intelligent, humorous, wise and handsome guy with a degree in anything (preferably not physics and art), who would buy me this http://www.ashford.com/product/index.asp?sn=458045054&md_id=1&pf_id=40646&dept_id=60&comp=Y on Valentine's day! :blushing: Intelligent: IQ > 150
Handsome: height > 5' 11, and physically fit and with a tolerable face:uhh:
Hmm. If I could trade one inch of height for one IQ point, I would meet your requirements. I'm told my face is tolerable.

D'oh! I already married someone. And I would never buy a diamond. What a waste of carbon. I got her a $2000 bicycle, carbon fiber!

Much more beautiful, don't you think?

Attachments

• spec_roubaix_elt27_crbnblu_.jpg
    spec_roubaix_elt27_crbnblu_.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 402
Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer emeralds. Colorless is just boring.

Also, I'm too young, too short, and I have no degree (well, I AM in high school).

Bladibla said:
IQ: 182
Height: 184 cm ( I don't know in ft)
I think you missed a decimal point in that IQ because there is no way someone with a 182 IQ wouldn't be able to convert cm to ft.

I've bought several diamonds over the years, and I'd be willing to buy you one if we went on a date and it went exceedingly well. $1400 is a bit steep however for a first date gift. see if you can find one in the $150-$300 range and give me a call. but be aware that "exceedingly well" probably translates into "naked and sweaty"

tribdog said:
I think you missed a decimal point in that IQ because there is no way someone with a 182 IQ wouldn't be able to convert cm to ft.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee ha ha ha haaaaaa!:rofl:

PS: that was my first ROFL ever.

I love alexandrite. My mom used to have a 5 carat alexandrite ring given to her by her father.

I loved how it changed colors. I took it outside. I lost it.

My mom played it down, she just fainted, then had hives, then couldn't talk much for several days. We combed an acre of grass blade by blade.

It wasn't until several years later that I found out that stone went for probably $40,000 a carat.

My mom was really nice. :cry:

I still feel like vomiting.

......<turns blue and falls over>...thats like 200k ring!? Was your grandfather Andrew Carnegie, or John D. Rockefeller?

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
......<turns blue and falls over>...thats like 200k ring!? Was your grandfather Andrew Carnegie, or John D. Rockefeller?
Almost. :redface: Of course, I'm not sure how much he paid for it, just what it would cost at the time I found out.

have you seen the movie home alone Evo?

AHHHHHHHHH!

After all I did when I was little, I'm surprised my mother still talks to me.

But, hey, put valuables in a safe! Keep expensive watches out of your jewelry box if you don't want them cleaned in the sink.

Don't leave hand carved bottles of priceless perfume in the bathroom.

Last edited:
In other words, lock up all your valuables when Evo comes to visit. :rofl:

Yeah, I am a menace to society. :frown:

.....I need to sit down.

Evo said:
Yeah, I am a menace to society. :frown:
No you are not! And futhermore, empty your PM inbox. :cool:

Just a thought - if the ground has been relatively undisturbed (i.e. no construction or ground work), then the ring could still be where it was lost, and it might be possible to find it.

Last edited:
Igor_S said:
If a $1400 isn't a lot for you, why don't you buy it yourself ?
1.because I'm not narcissist!
2. I don't want to waste my money on useless things!

o:)

Igor_S said:
Yeah... but gifts like chocolate, stuffed animals or something like a pillow shaped like heart, certainly not diamond ring (well... maybe fake one :biggrin: ). I have a friend who studies molecular biology, who mentioned she likes stuffed animals shaped like some bacteria or viruses (they really don't look that bad :smile: ).
Ok ok you proved your intelligence...
1 of my friends chatted with someone over the internet and well they met offline.(in fact my friend went there to see if he'd come. but the guy recognized her) so first the guy took her to an expensive restaurant and then wanted to buy her an expensive jewlery. Anyway my friend hadn't accepted and said that she was late and they would meet each other next time. Of course she just wanted to get rid of the guy, so she didn't even chat with him anymore.
Well there are lots of idiots in this world!

Anyway I'm just having fun with this thread as you know!:wink:

Last edited:
jimmy p said:
Isn't it just?:cool: Hmmm. I could probably buy that ring. Whether or not I would want to spend that amount of money on a hunk of metal with rocks in it, is something I would have to ponder over, which shouldn't take too long seeing as I have a potential IQ of over 400!
well, I should test your IQ by myself!

Chi Meson said:
Hmm. If I could trade one inch of height for one IQ point, I would meet your requirements. I'm told my face is tolerable.

D'oh! I already married someone. And I would never buy a diamond. What a waste of carbon. I got her a $2000 bicycle, carbon fiber!

Much more beautiful, don't you think?
waste of carbon, huh?:tongue:

tribdog said:
How about not being able to conver ft to cm?

tribdog said:
I've bought several diamonds over the years, and I'd be willing to buy you one if we went on a date and it went exceedingly well. $1400 is a bit steep however for a first date gift. see if you can find one in the $150-$300 range and give me a call. but be aware that "exceedingly well" probably translates into "naked and sweaty"
:rofl:
Your tongue(better to say your sense of humour) is worth more than diamonds, but the problem is that you're taken!:tongue2:

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Your tongue is worth more than diamonds (better to say your sense of humour)
:biggrin: :rofl: :rofl: o:)

I am conceded and good at what I do.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
1.because I'm not narcissist!
2. I don't want to waste my money on useless things!

o:)

LOL! :rofl: :rofl:

Lisa! said:
Ok ok you proved your intelligence...
1 of my friends chatted with someone over the internet and well they met offline.(in fact my friend went there to see if he'd come. but the guy recognized her) so first the guy took her to an expensive restaurant and then wanted to buy her an expensive jewlery. Anyway my friend hadn't accepted and said that she was late and they would meet each other next time. Of course she just wanted to get rid of the guy, so she didn't even chat with him anymore.
Well there are lots of idiots in this world!

Anyway I'm just having fun with this thread as you know!:wink:

Why don't you ask her for his phone number ? :biggrin: He sounds "just the kind of guy" :)

MK said:
I am conceded and good at what I do.
So you must be taken too!:biggrin:

Igor_S said:
Why don't you ask her for his phone number ? :biggrin: He sounds "just the kind of guy" :)
:grumpy: :devil: He couldn't be intelligent enough!

Lisa! said:
well, I should test your IQ by myself!

:!) :!) :!) I like the sound of that! Do I have to buy the ring first?

jimmy p said:
:!) :!) :!) I like the sound of that! Do I have to buy the ring first?
Nope!
But if you buy it fisrt, you've alreadypassed my IQ test!o:)

Lisa! said:
:grumpy: :devil: He couldn't be intelligent enough!

Well you could make him buy the ring, then dump him :biggrin: ... you can say things like "i need more space" or "we can still be friends" , then find someone smarter. And at the end everybody is happy ! (The guy will probably find some woman who is only after his money, not his brains, so he will be happy too !)

Astronuc said:
No you are not! And futhermore, empty your PM inbox. :cool:

Just a thought - if the ground has been relatively undisturbed (i.e. no construction or ground work), then the ring could still be where it was lost, and it might be possible to find it.
dammit astronuc. I was heading out with my metal detector and you had to go put ideas in her head.
actually the ring isn't where she thinks she lost it. that area has been searched already. I'd bet she put the ring somewhere safe and forgot that she had done so, but safe to a kid might mean a knot hole in a tree, under a rock or behind a loose brick.

Last edited:
aren't we moving a little too fast here. so how many dates do you expect a guy to go out with you before you make him buy a diamond ring or a gift?

Lisa! said:
Ah come on! First of all I don't expect an intelligent guy to go out on a blind date. So let say he decides to date a girl since he already knows her enough and now decides to date her because he knows she's her kind of woman.

talk about a contradiction in terms. so you started the thread asking a guy to buy you a $1400 ring now you say:

Lisa! said:
(Nope, gifts doesn't work in my case very well but then again this ring might be different!:biggrin: )

so much for language and logic

Lisa! said:
Intelligent: IQ > 150
Handsome: height > 5' 11, and physically fit and with a tolerable face:uhh:

and we all know guys are shallow and women aren't into looks all that much

Last edited:
tribdog said:
dammit astronuc. I was heading out with my metal detector and you had to go put ideas in her head.
actually the ring isn't where she thinks she lost it. that area has been searched already. I'd bet she put the ring somewhere safe and forgot that she had done so, but safe to a kid might mean a knot hole in a tree, under a rock or behind a loose brick.
Actually I am sure my best friend down the street found it and stole it. I'm about 100% sure.

Astronuc said:
A place where I can crank up my Rock & Roll, in peace and not so quiet. :biggrin:

My family objects to Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Traffic, Blind Faith, Spirit, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Journey (1st album), The Who, Yardbirds, Cream, Rolling Stones (< 1970), The Doors, Yes, EL&P, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Santana, Black Sabbath, Nazareth, Blue Öyster Cult, Jon Butcher, Joe Satriani . . . . at full volume. I prefer to work while listening to inspirational music. :biggrin:

I need a place of my own. :tongue2:

Listening to Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" and "About to Begin" as I type this. :cool:

Oh, you can't always get what you want,
but if you try sometimes,
you might find,
you get what you need! :cool: - Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed, 1969

Edit: Oh, yeah - a new 5 string base guitar would be nice! Then I would really have to get my own place. :biggrin:

Wow! that is my kind of music..I the right circumstances we could be roomies!

Not much of a best friend then... :frown: :frown: :cry:

Igor_S said:
Well you could make him buy the ring, then dump him :biggrin: ... you can say things like "i need more space" or "we can still be friends" , then find someone smarter. And at the end everybody is happy ! (The guy will probably find some woman who is only after his money, not his brains, so he will be happy too !)
I don't want to owe anyone anything!o:)

The_Professional said:
aren't we moving a little too fast here. so how many dates do you expect a guy to go out with you before you make him buy a diamond ring or a gift?

talk about a contradiction in terms. so you started the thread asking a guy to buy you a $1400 ring now you say:

so much for language and logic
:bugeye:
You're kidding, right?

1. Nobody looks for logic and language within threads at GD especially funny 1s!
2. You know contradictions and illogical terms is what usually make us laugh!:tongue:

and we all know guys are shallow and women aren't into looks all that much
well you learn something new everyday(even about yourself)!:uhh:

I don't want to be shallow anymore, so::tongue2:
Edit: IQ > o
appearance: whatever(fat, intolerable face,...)

Lisa! said:
I don't want to owe anyone anything!o:)

Well anyway, I can already imagine the moment you get the ring :biggrin:
ring.jpg

Lisa! said:
I don't want to be shallow anymore, so::tongue2:
appearance: fat, intolerable face

I can already imagine some guys in here going "Woohoo, I'm in !". :rofl: :rofl:

Igor_S said:
I can already imagine some guys in here going "Woohoo, I'm in !". :rofl: :rofl:

Let's be hopeful there wouldn't be any chimpanzee around here ...:uhh:

Hehe funny thing you mentioned... do you know about two guys from Guinness book of world records who hold the record for the people with most hair on their body ? (I think its something like that) Hopefully they don't visit PF :biggrin: ... wait I might find a picture.

[... searching ...]

Got it. The link is http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=53833". Check this: 98% hair coverage! . Hmmm... "Lisa! Ramos Gomes"... it does give a nice latin touch to your name :biggrin:.

Igor_S said:
Hehe funny thing you mentioned... do you know about two guys from Guinness book of world records who hold the record for the people with most hair on their body ? (I think its something like that) Hopefully they don't visit PF :biggrin: ... wait I might find a picture.

[... searching ...]

Got it. The link is http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=53833". Check this: 98% hair coverage! . Hmmm... "Lisa! Ramos Gomes"... it does give a nice latin touch to your name :biggrin:.
:uhh: :rofl:

Ok I'm not ashamed of announcing that I'm shallow if not being shallow means dating whoever/whatever comes to your way! :tongue2:

Back