Why Does Wrapping a Credit Card in a Plastic Bag Help It Swipe Successfully?

In summary, a credit card with a worn magnetic strip can cause reading errors when swiped. Placing the card in a plastic bag decreases the strength and crispness of the signal, reducing the likelihood of reading errors and allowing the card to be successfully swiped. This is because the plastic bag creates a barrier between the reader and the magnetic strip, smoothing out any scratches or defects that may cause spikes in the signal. While getting a new card is the most effective solution, using a plastic bag or applying tape to the magnetic strip can provide a temporary fix. This technique works due to the F2F modulation scheme used in standard bank cards, where scratches on the magnetic strip can cause spikes in the signal and fail the parity check.
becz-
I have a credit card that I use quite more often then others, and obviously the magnetic strip on the back of the card has worn down quite a bit. Often, when someone slides the card it doesn't read properly and the cashier person has to manual type in my card number. Someone told me if you put the credit card in a plastic bag, such as a shopping bag from Walmart, and slide the card while its in the bag, it will read. Now when my card doesn't read, I tell the cashier to put in it in a plastic bag and it always works. What about the card being in a plastic bag makes the magnetic strip work? Thanks in advanced for any replies, my Physics professor couldn't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that scratches on the surface of the magnetic strip produce spikes in the reader which causes the checksum to fail. Placing a plastic bag over the card (strip) prevents those spurious readings.

Applying cellophane (Scotch, etc.) tape to the stripe can be effective as well, and a bit handier.

I would opt to GET A NEW CARD. It's simple, free and takes about a week or 2. As a side note, men are more prone to damaging credit cards than women due to where men generally keep them... in their wallet behind their butt, which can crack and damage a card.
Other solutions might remedy an emergency condition, but, GET REAL. You need a new card. ITS FREE.

Sometimes I will use http://www.creditcounselorhut.com if I want some paid advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
pallidin said:
I would opt to GET A NEW CARD. It's simple, free and takes about a week or 2. As a side note, men are more prone to damaging credit cards than women due to where men generally keep them... in their wallet behind their butt, which can crack and damage a card.
Other solutions might remedy an emergency condition, but, GET REAL. You need a new card. ITS FREE.
K well, the question wasn't whether or not I needed a new card. I'm fully aware it's free and easily ordered and a task that can be done over the phone in 3 minutes. I was asking about the reasoning behind it working with the plastic bag. Thanks for your side note.

for anyone who was truly interested in the answer.. i found it on http://www.straightdope.com/columns/040116.html

Dear Cecil:

I've heard of this before, but didn't believe it. Now I've seen it for myself, and my
skeptical mind needs a good explanation. A lady in front of me at the supermarket swiped
her credit card but it didn't work. She tried again, didn't work. The cashier tried,
didn't work. So far, everything was proceeding scientifically. Then the cashier says, "My
friend who works at a bank taught me this." What's he do? He puts the credit card in a
plastic shopping bag, pulls the plastic tight around the card, and swipes it. Now the
part I don't get: It worked. --Tim, Newton, Massachusetts

Cecil replies:

At least the cashier's friend didn't tell him to bury the card at a crossroads at
midnight. Wacky though the plastic-bag technique seems, several of Cecil's engineering
buddies admit they've seen it work. Here's the deal. Standard bank cards use the F2F
(Aiken biphase) modulation scheme, in which flux reversals encoded in the . . . eh, too
much information. Let's just say that when you swipe the card through the reader, the
magnetized particles in its stripe generate a signal with "ticks" in it at intervals that
the machine is able to interpret as digital ones or zeros. A scratch or other defect in
the magnetic stripe can cause a spike (i.e., brief fluctuation) in the signal that a
too-sensitive reader will interpret as a tick, meaning that the encoded data will fail
the parity check (the numbers won't add up right) and the card won't work. Wrapping the
card in plastic increases the distance between the read head and the magnetic stripe,
thus reducing the strength and crispness of the signal and smoothing out anomalous
fluctuations. Behold, the card works. Worth a try, anyway--God forbid the clerk should
have to punch in the numbers by hand.

--CECIL ADAMS

1. What is a credit card magnetic strip?

The credit card magnetic strip is a thin strip of black or brown magnetic material that is located on the back of a credit card. It contains important information, such as the cardholder's account number, name, and expiration date, that is used to authorize transactions.

2. How does the magnetic strip on a credit card work?

The magnetic strip on a credit card contains tiny iron-based particles that are magnetized in a specific pattern. When the card is swiped through a card reader, the magnetic field in the reader causes the particles to align in a certain way, which creates a unique code that is read by the reader and sent to the bank for verification.

3. Why do some credit cards have a chip instead of a magnetic strip?

The chip, also known as EMV technology, is a more secure form of credit card technology compared to the magnetic strip. The chip contains encrypted information that is more difficult to replicate or steal, making it less vulnerable to fraud. Many countries have already switched to chip-enabled cards, and the United States is in the process of transitioning to this technology.

4. Can the magnetic strip on a credit card be damaged?

Yes, the magnetic strip on a credit card can be damaged if it comes into contact with strong magnets, heat, or scratches. If the strip is damaged, the card may not be able to be read by card readers, causing problems with transactions. It is important to keep credit cards away from magnets and other potential sources of damage.

5. How can I protect my credit card's magnetic strip?

To protect the magnetic strip on your credit card, it is recommended to keep it in a protective sleeve or wallet. Avoid exposing it to strong magnets, heat, or rough surfaces. Additionally, be cautious when swiping your card and avoid forcing it into card readers, as this can cause damage to the strip. If your credit card's magnetic strip is damaged, contact your credit card issuer for a replacement.