The new VW car crash commercials

In summary: Volkswagen in an effort to promote road safety, has produced a series of commercials featuring real life car crashes. In summary, some people are objecting to these commercials because they feel they are inappropriate, or because they can be a frightening experience for those who have been in car crashes before. Others feel the commercials are a good thing because they depict how random, unforgiving, and devistating car crashes can be. It can even be seen as a way to raise awareness to those who don't appreciate what kind of chaos occurs during a crash.

How do you feel about these commercials?

• I think they're good to have on the air!

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • I have my reservations, but it's ok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have my concerns about it and do not think it should air

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It crosses the line and should be pulled immediately!

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other!

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I'm sure some people have seen it but in short, the commercials go something like this:

Family or friends talking in a car, driving along, or something very casual and normal. Their conversation seems random enough. All of a sudden, you see (from an in-car viewpoint) a car/truck coming straight for the vehicle and in real time, BOOM, car crash. The commercials have had side-impact and frontal-impact accidents shown. The commercials, as it turns out, were done as a continuous, basically unedited shot with professional stunt drivers in non-modified VW Jetta's using government car crash guidelines.

Some people are objecting to these commercials. Complaints range from it flat out being inappropriate, some say it can be a frightening experience for those who have been in car crashes before in their lives (the commercials give absolutely 0 warning that it's a commercial that has anything to do with cars and especially no warning as to the fact that a crash is going to occur). One can make up their own ideas as to what else might be wrong with such commercials.

Others feel the commercials are a good thing. Some say the commercial depicts how random, unforgiving, and devistating such crashes can be. Others say its a good promotional message since in fact, the stunt men/women were able to walk away from the crashes just as seen on the commercials. It can even been seen as a way to raise awareness to those who don't appreciate what kind of chaos occurs during a crash.

What's your opinion on them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen them, but from your description, I don't know why people would object. It's a commercial that sounds like it gets people's attention. I guess the only thing that really matters is whether it sells cars. It's probably intended to highlight their crash safety.

Are these the same people watching an action movie after the commercials? The driver should get into road rage after the accident and take out his Uzi. I mean hey, that's what's going to be on TV right after the commercial anyways, right? Or is it the soap opera where "Chad" gets into coma from the car accident, or is it Oprah, talking about surviving horrible car accidents, or is it "WORLDS DEADLIEST CAR ACCIDENTS!" Give me a break. People like that should be made to wear white plastic helmets in public, because they are doooot dee dooooo, retarrrrrrrded. <I love mind of mencia> :rolleyes:

oh yeah, ...and thread locked...

Last edited:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6114191367801075730&q=jetta+crash

OMG write to your congress person, get this off the air! :rolleyes:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1142945629348704939&q=jetta+crash
:rofl:

Man, he PLOWS into that truck, it's a good thing volkwagen drivers pay attention to the road when talking to their buddies :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need to watch it with sound. First time i saw it i jumped in my seat. It's a great commercial in my opinion.

I love that commercial! You seriously do not expect that truck to out of nowhere just appear like that O_O.

God. There nothing compared to the ads we have here. Mind you the ads we have are designed to scare the sh*t out of you. The scariest ones are about microsleeps, I'll see if I can find a link for you. Anyway, more or less the same idea as above, except the person is tired, they keep losing attention, next thing they look up and are headed directly into an oncoming truck. And in these ads, people don't walk away from the crash.

edit: I can't find the really scary ones, but this is one from a newer campaign, aimed at zoning out as opposed to falling asleep.

http://www.tacsafety.com.au/upload/fatigue_lost_30.mpg"

Kazza_765 said:
God. There nothing compared to the ads we have here. Mind you the ads we have are designed to scare the sh*t out of you. The scariest ones are about microsleeps, I'll see if I can find a link for you. Anyway, more or less the same idea as above, except the person is tired, they keep losing attention, next thing they look up and are headed directly into an oncoming truck. And in these ads, people don't walk away from the crash.

edit: I can't find the really scary ones, but this is one from a newer campaign, aimed at zoning out as opposed to falling asleep.

http://www.tacsafety.com.au/upload/fatigue_lost_30.mpg"

Where are you from? In drivers ed they showed us a ton of ads from australia (i think that's where they were from anyway) and they were definitely designed to shock more so than the ones we usually see.

I prefer the Un-Pimp My Ride Commercials

[MEDIA=youtube]leLPMibwbBI[/MEDIA][/URL]

V dub, representing Deutschland

Not seen them, but they sound great.

In my experience, drivers of Volvos and VWs gain such a false sense of security (given by smooth rides, sound deadening and an array of electronic assistance safety devices) they they tend to drive far less carefully than those in a biscuit tin.

Alec Issigonis had the right idea. Scare tactics work!

@Scorpa
I think he's from Australia

I think Australia has to be the road safety commercial making capital of the world. It seems every week there is a new ad. Then especially on long weekends and holiday periods there will be a crapload of scare tactic ads on.
But I have to say it doesn't bother me how gruesome the ads are.

I think they're good. It so important to remember that driving is NOT a game. It's a dangerous activity where you have to take on a lot of responsibility, and be willing to cooperate with others doing the same. I'm glad my kids have seen that commercial a couple times -- that probably drives the point home (sorry for the pun) more than my lecturing them about driving skills and attentiveness and seatbelts and...

dduardo said:

V dub, representing Deutschland[/QUOTE]

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THOSE COMMERCIALS!

Pengwuino said:
The commercials, as it turns out, were done as a continuous, basically unedited shot with professional stunt drivers in non-modified VW Jetta's using government car crash guidelines.
I didn't know that - that's pretty impressive.

dduardo said:

V dub, representing Deutschland[/QUOTE]

When you are with friends watching those, it can lead to good times :rofl: :rofl:

Man... now I feel compelled to search video.google.com's entire server for those!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1158901779668604713&q=VW
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1948433946923483148&q=VW
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=70722051211331357&q=VW

Jaaason, this is your 98 watchamacallit

ahahahahaha

[MEDIA=youtube]87BVx8GoEE4[/MEDIA]&eurl=[/URL]

awesome.

But if you want to see a real car crash.. try crossing an ambulance going at 40 mph - you won't walk away from that.

Gotta love those airbags! A little ironic how a rocket engine can save your life ;) Or is that a myth??

Yeah, I'm from Australia. I remember there were some complaints about one of the anti-drug ads. At the end of the ad it showed a dead teenager in a body bag being zipped up. People didn't like that one, but it stayed on the air anyway.

You guys all remember the Ford SportKa commercial of course?

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sportka.wmv

Funny that we were having this discussion. Just over the weekend the TAC started a new advertising campaign, and this one shocked the hell out of me.

Its about injuries being the hidden road toll, ie. they don't show up in the statistics so people often don't realize how bad it really is. Anyway, the ad is pretty much just car crash scenes, people covered in blood, scarred, children lying on the road bleeding or dead. Unbelievable, but hopefully it gets the message across.

I can't seem to find it on the net yet, which is probably a good thing, as I think some people would find it quite offensive, but if you want to see it you'll probably be able to find it in a few days.

edit: found it, www.46.com.au[/URL].

Warning: If you are at all squirmish about blood, don't click the above link.

1. What is the purpose of the new VW car crash commercials?

The purpose of the new VW car crash commercials is to showcase the advanced safety features of their vehicles and to promote safe driving habits.

2. Are the car crash scenes in the commercials real or simulated?

The car crash scenes in the commercials are simulated using special effects and stunt drivers. No real accidents were involved in the making of these commercials.

3. How accurate are the safety features depicted in the commercials?

The safety features depicted in the commercials are based on real technology and have been tested and verified by VW and independent safety organizations. However, the effectiveness of these features may vary depending on the specific circumstances of a car accident.

4. Has the new VW car crash commercials had any impact on car accident statistics?

It is difficult to determine the direct impact of the commercials on car accident statistics. However, the commercials have raised awareness about safe driving and the importance of advanced safety features in vehicles.

5. Are there any potential ethical concerns with using car crash scenes in commercials?

Some may argue that using car crash scenes in commercials can be seen as exploitative or insensitive. However, the purpose of these commercials is to promote safe driving and educate viewers about the importance of safety features in vehicles.