What is Perfection? Is it Relative to the Observer?

• Thread starter Universe_Man
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker suggests that perfection can be relative to the individual and can be something that gives them a giddy feeling or achievement.
Universe_Man
What is perfection? Is it not something that a person finds desirable or ideal in all aspects? If so, wouldn't it be logical to assume that perfection is an arbitrary value that is relative to the observer?

Physics news on Phys.org
And, if I am free to use the word "duck" for what you choose to designate as a "tree", then we see that "duck" has an arbitrary reference relative to the user.

What was your point again?

Universe_Man said:
What is perfection? Is it not something that a person finds desirable or ideal in all aspects? If so, wouldn't it be logical to assume that perfection is an arbitrary value that is relative to the observer?

i don't think so; perfection can't is hard to achieve if not impossible. we all knewthat all events that took place in the universe done always with losses. law of thermodynamics can attest that.

how about 0, or void

it is the absense of adaptation, or anything perceived imperfect

I would think that the best way to define perfection would be in relation to universal standards. A perfect score would be a 100%. However, if you received 102% for extra credit, it would still be perfection based on the universal standards of getting all the answers correct that can affect you negatively.
Thinking of what the person stated with the duck and tree example, language is used as a universal standard so that we can communicate effectively with each other. Although language is a universal standard of communication for a society, there is no way to actually achieve perfection in communication because there may not be a word in a given language to describe something completely as a person experiences it. There can only be perfection against the universal standard of language, but not in communication itself. Likewise, there can only be perfection in the universal standard of 100% of points in a course. There is no way to have absolute perfection in knowledge of a subject area. How do I know that? There is no universal standard on what knowledge is. hahaha
If a person chooses to disregard a universal standard as not being relevant to their life, then that just means that perfection related to that standard is not important to the individual, but the perfection still exists regardless.

Last edited:
Well, from a none scientific point of view, I would say perfection is something that gived you a giddy feeling to be around, like someone you like, to you it can seem perfect to be around them. Or it could also be a feeling of achievement in some cases. Kind of a lame way to describe it but I like it.

1. What is the definition of perfection?

Perfection is the state of being without flaws or faults.

2. Is perfection subjective or objective?

Perfection can be viewed as both subjective and objective. What one person may consider perfect may differ from what another person considers perfect.

3. Can something be perfect to one person but not to another?

Yes, since perfection is based on personal opinions and perspectives, something can be perfect to one person but not to another.

4. Is perfection attainable?

It depends on one's definition of perfection. While some may argue that perfection is unattainable, others may believe that it is achievable through hard work and dedication.

5. How does the observer affect the perception of perfection?

The observer's beliefs, values, and experiences can greatly influence their perception of perfection. What may be perfect to one observer may not be perfect to another due to their unique perspectives and biases.