Graduate Studies in Civil Engineering

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student of Civil Engineering who will be graduating in August 2007. They are currently researching universities in Spain, USA, and Canada for their graduate studies in Structural Engineering and Geomechanics. Their current list includes Stanford University, University of California Berkeley, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, McGill University, and University of Toronto. They also mention needing to take the GRE, TOEFL, and TSE tests and are looking for additional options for graduate studies. They ask for opinions on the mentioned universities and mention their preference for more expensive options.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Hey everybody, i am an undergraduate student of Civil Engineering. I'll be graduating in August 2007, hopefully.

I am currently looking for Universities in Spain, USA and Canada for my graduate studies. I'll be focusing on Structural Engineering and Geomechanics.

So far my list of colleges consist of:

USA:

-Stanford University
-University of California Berkeley
-University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Canada:

-McGill University
-University of Toronto

Spain:

-none so far.

Tests so far i need to take:

-GRE
-TOEFL
-TSE

I'm looking for more choices (especially if they have graduate studies on Structural Engineering and/or Geomechanics). I am wondering if anybody here has a MSc or MEng, in this field or in Civil engineering.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody has any opinions about those colleges at least? like general experience?

You sure do have a taste for the expensive places :tongue2:

Good luck, you'll get into them all!

1. What is the difference between a Master's and PhD in Civil Engineering?

A Master's degree in Civil Engineering typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on advanced coursework and technical skills in a specific area of civil engineering. A PhD in Civil Engineering usually takes 4-5 years and includes both advanced coursework and original research in a specific area of civil engineering. A PhD is required for most research and teaching positions in academia, while a Master's degree can lead to various career opportunities in industry.

2. What are the prerequisites for applying to a graduate program in Civil Engineering?

Most graduate programs in Civil Engineering require a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering or a related field, such as environmental engineering, structural engineering, or geotechnical engineering. Some programs may also require specific coursework or a minimum GPA for admission. Additionally, many programs require applicants to submit GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of Civil Engineering during my graduate studies?

Yes, many graduate programs in Civil Engineering offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a specific area, such as transportation engineering, structural engineering, or environmental engineering. This allows students to focus their coursework and research on a particular area of interest and gain expertise in that field.

4. What types of research opportunities are available in a graduate program in Civil Engineering?

Graduate programs in Civil Engineering often offer research opportunities in a variety of areas, including structural engineering, transportation engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and water resources engineering. These opportunities may involve working with faculty on ongoing research projects or conducting independent research under the guidance of a faculty advisor.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates with a Master's or PhD in Civil Engineering?

Graduates with a Master's or PhD in Civil Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. They may work as civil engineers, project managers, consultants, or researchers in industries such as construction, transportation, environmental engineering, and government agencies. Additionally, a PhD in Civil Engineering can lead to teaching and research positions in academia.