Camera and Display RGB question

• Thread starter rp895
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the conversation is about the resolution of a display and camera when detecting different colors of light. It is mentioned that for a completely red object, only the red pixels on the display will be on, decreasing the resolution by 3 compared to white light. The conversation also touches on the effectiveness of different filters and the importance of using full-size filters and a monochrome chip for better astrophotos.
rp895
Hello,

I have somewhat of a technical question and was hoping you would be able to help me. I have a display that is 852 (x3) x 600. This means that that there are 852 x 600 of the red, blue and green filtered pixels. Say however that I am looking at a completely red object, thus only red light falls on detector, and detected by only red filters. That means only red pixels on display will be on.
However, if in another case, white light falls and is detected by all three RGB pixels, and on the display as well, all three RGB pixels will be on. Does that mean that for a red object, resolution is effectively decreased by 3 compared to white light?

I appreciate any input you have!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be if the camera software were capable of outputting 1704x1200 and the color were an even white and the filters had the same bandwidth...

I was very disappointed when I found out that my http://www.meade.com/dsi_ii/index.html" had a 510x492 ccd with a filter grid on it (as opposed to a 1010x984 ccd with a grid and an output of 510x492 in color). They advertise the ccd resolution, not the effective resolution. Incidentally, since the filter grid is 2x2, they double-up on the green. When I get home, I'll post an example image...

This is why better astrophotos are shot with full-size filters, a monochrome chip, and multiple exposures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The answer to your question depends on the specific camera and display setup you are using. In general, the resolution of a camera or display is determined by the number of individual pixels, not the number of color channels. So for your display with 852 x 600 pixels, the resolution would remain the same regardless of whether a red or white object is being displayed.

However, the color accuracy and detail may be affected by the different wavelengths of light being detected and displayed. In your example, the red object would only be displayed using the red pixels, so the color accuracy may be lower compared to a white object which would be displayed using all three RGB pixels.

Ultimately, the resolution of a display is not affected by the color of the object being displayed. I hope this helps clarify your question. Let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification. Thank you.

1. What is the difference between RGB and CMYK color modes?

RGB (Red, Green, Blue) and CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) are two different color modes used in digital imaging. RGB is used for displaying colors on electronic screens, while CMYK is used for printing. RGB colors are created by emitting light, while CMYK colors are created by absorbing light. This is why RGB is also known as an additive color model, while CMYK is known as a subtractive color model.

2. How does a camera capture RGB colors?

A camera captures RGB colors by using a sensor that is sensitive to red, green, and blue light. The sensor records the intensity of each color and combines them to create a full-color image. The camera's lens also plays a role in capturing accurate colors by filtering the light that enters the sensor.

3. Can I change the RGB settings on my camera?

Yes, most cameras have the option to adjust the RGB settings. This allows you to change the color balance or temperature of the image. Some cameras also have a feature called "Picture Styles" that allow you to choose from preset color profiles to achieve a specific look.

4. What is the importance of color calibration for displays?

Color calibration is crucial for displays because it ensures that the colors displayed on the screen are accurate and consistent. Without proper calibration, the colors on the screen may appear different from the original image. This is especially important for professionals, such as photographers and graphic designers, who rely on accurate colors for their work.

5. How do I calibrate my display for accurate RGB colors?

To calibrate your display for accurate RGB colors, you can use a color calibration tool or software. This will help you adjust the color settings on your display to match a standard color profile. You can also manually adjust the brightness, contrast, and color temperature of your display to achieve accurate colors. It is recommended to calibrate your display periodically to maintain accurate colors.