Kinetic Energy and Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the proton's minimum kinetic energy is greater than its uncertainty principle-determined minimum energy.
jimmypoopins

Homework Statement

A proton is confined in a uranium nucleus of radius 7.43 fm. Determine the proton’s minimum kinetic energy K ≥ ∆K according to the uncertainty principle if the proton is well approximated by a Gaussian wave packet confined by the nuclear diameter.

Homework Equations

[tex]K_{min}\geq\frac{\hbar^2}{2ml^2}[/tex]

[tex]l=2*7.43fm=14.86*10^-15m[/tex]

[tex]m=m_{p}=1.6726*10^-27kg[/tex]

[tex]\hbar=1.0546*10^-34J*s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my problem is that i might be using incorrect equations or I'm messing up with units somewhere. I put in the values above into the first equation and got

[tex]K_{min}\geq\frac{\hbar^2}{2ml^2}=\frac{(1.0546*10^-34J*s)^2}{2*1.6726*10^-27kg*(14.86*10^-15m)^2}=1.5056*10^-14J[/tex]

and my web homework program is telling me the answer is incorrect. can anyone lead me in the correct direction please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty principle says delta(x)*delta(p)>=hbar/2. Are you missing that factor of 2?

There's something wrong with the powers of ten. I make the result about 10^-11, not 10^-14. i.e. -68 + 27 + 30 = -11.

[Edited : OK, you could be in the right ballpark ...]

Last edited:
Dick said:
The uncertainty principle says delta(x)*delta(p)>=hbar/2. Are you missing that factor of 2?

the equation was provided in my book and before i found it in the book i found the relationship between momentum and kinetic energy and put energy in for momentum in delta(x)delta(p)>=hbar/2 and solved for energy and got the same result

Mentz114 said:
There's something wrong with the powers of ten. I make the result about 10^-11, not 10^-14. i.e. -68 + 27 + 30 = -11.

i think that's because the answer is one digit followed by a decimal with powers of ten, but some of the numbers have two digits in my equation and are multiplied by 2, etc.
you might be right though, if anyone wants to check my work more thoroughly... i quite often make simple mistakes with powers ot ten, unit conversions, etc.

Your formula for K_min does not contain that factor of two.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its current velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to precisely determine both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can behave like waves and have a range of possible positions and momenta.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to kinetic energy?

The uncertainty principle applies to all physical quantities, including kinetic energy. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less certain we are about its momentum and therefore its kinetic energy. Similarly, if we know the momentum of a particle with high precision, there is a greater uncertainty in its position and therefore its kinetic energy.

5. Is there a minimum uncertainty in kinetic energy?

Yes, according to the uncertainty principle, there is a minimum uncertainty in the measurement of kinetic energy. This is because the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the more uncertain we are about its position. As a result, there will always be a minimum uncertainty in the measurement of kinetic energy.