Nodal & Mesh Matrix Equations By Inspection.

In summary, the circuit analysis professor showed a method of nodal/mesh analysis that allows for writing matrix equations by inspecting the circuit. This method was used on resistive circuits with only voltage sources present. It is not very intuitive and has a lot of rules to remember, but it can be useful for solving nodal/mesh equations quickly. There are no known websites that demonstrate this method and list the rules. The method involves looking at nearby nodes and using the sum of resistances to calculate the voltage across them. However, this method can easily break down with dependent sources or multiple voltage/current sources.
RadiationX
My circuit analysis professor showed us a method of nodal/mesh analysis today that allows us to write the matrix equations for either nodal/mesh analysis just by inspection of the circuit.

Is anyone familiar with this method or ever heard of it?

The circuits that he used this technique on were all resistive and there were only voltage sources present.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard of it and seen it, but it is not very intuitive and has a lot of rules to remember. If you do it the good and honest way you will make less mistakes, and things will make more sense.

If you are really dying to see it, I could piece something together.

Mindscrape said:
I've heard of it and seen it, but it is not very intuitive and has a lot of rules to remember. If you do it the good and honest way you will make less mistakes, and things will make more sense.

If you are really dying to see it, I could piece something together.

Yes, Please do!

I actually like solving nodal/mesh equations the old fashioned way, but the professor is emphasizing this method. He said that he gets paid to show us things that are not in the textbook otherwise "we could stay home and read the d**n book and not come to class"

Do you know of a website that demonstrates this method and lists the rules? I've googled for it but I don't come up with anything.

I don't know of any websites that have the method.

Node Voltage:
This is pretty easy to do by inspection, you just look at the node and anything nearby nodes are going to be related by (1/R_node)v_node (make sure to consistently give them similar signs) and the node that you are on will be the sum of all the resistances^-1 around it. Work through an example to confirm this idea. The matrix follows easily from the equations by inspection.

Mesh Current:
This is the tricky one. The mesh equations have a symmetrical pattern that is similar to the coefficient symmetry in node equations. Say you have two meshes, mesh A and mesh B: the coefficients of i_b in the and i_a are nagatives of the resistance common to meshes A and B. So the coefficients of i_a and i_b are the sum of the resistances in the meshes A and B.

In other words, the voltage across resistances in mesh A involves:
1) i_a times the sum of the resistances in mesh A
2) -i_b times the sum of the resistances common to mesh A and mesh B, and similar terms for any other mesh adjacent to mesh A

This is not really all that intuitive, but you can sort of see why it would work.

Just as a note these break down very easily. Any dependent sources kill these methods. Multiple voltage or current sources, such that supernodes or supermeshes are needed, will also destroy the method.

1. What is the purpose of using nodal and mesh matrix equations by inspection?

The purpose of using nodal and mesh matrix equations by inspection is to analyze and solve electrical circuits. These equations are used to determine the voltages and currents at various nodes and branches in a circuit, making it easier to understand and design complex circuits.

2. How are nodal and mesh matrix equations different?

Nodal and mesh matrix equations are different methods of circuit analysis. Nodal analysis is based on Kirchhoff's current law, while mesh analysis is based on Kirchhoff's voltage law. Nodal analysis is used for circuits with many parallel branches, while mesh analysis is used for circuits with many series elements.

3. What are the advantages of using nodal and mesh matrix equations by inspection?

Using nodal and mesh matrix equations by inspection can save time and effort compared to other methods of circuit analysis. These equations can also provide a more accurate and organized solution to complex circuits, making it easier for scientists to understand and troubleshoot any issues.

4. Can nodal and mesh matrix equations be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal and mesh matrix equations can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, different equations and methods may need to be used for AC circuits due to the presence of reactive components such as capacitors and inductors.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal and mesh matrix equations by inspection?

One limitation of using nodal and mesh matrix equations is that they can only be applied to linear circuits. Nonlinear circuits, such as circuits with diodes or transistors, require more advanced methods of analysis. Additionally, nodal and mesh analysis can become more complex for circuits with a large number of nodes or branches.