What are some recommended textbooks for an introductory EE course?

In summary, a student is taking an introductory EE course and is seeking recommendations for textbooks. The course will cover topics such as SI units, DC and AC circuit analysis, and application examples. The professor recommended two textbooks, but the student has found negative reviews for them. Another student suggests "The Art of Electronics" as a practical option. However, the book does not cover the course's syllabus. The student is also advised to get the textbooks recommended by the professor, as Amazon reviews may not be reliable.
Defennder
Homework Helper
Hi all. I'm taking an introductory EE course this semester which will cover the following topics. Just for clarification, this is my 1st year at university. The following is the syllabus for the course:

1. Introduction
SI Units. Voltage, current, power and energy.

2. DC Circuit Analysis
Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws. Ideal and practical sources. Source transformation. Nodal and mesh analysis. Thevenin's and Norton's equivalent circuits. Maximum power transfer. Superposition Theorem. Dependent sources.

3. AC Circuits Analysis
Review of complex numbers. Root mean square value, Frequency and phase. Phasors. Impedance, Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance, Admittance. Power and power factor. Sinusoidal frequency response of circuits. Tune circuit, Resonance, bandwidth and Q factor.

4. Application Examples
(a) Principles of the DC power supply
Principles of mutual inductance and transformers, diode characteristics, bridge rectifiers.

(b) Principles of a DC motor
Principles of operation of the DC motor. Torque speed characteristics. Open loop control of speed and torque. Variation of speed and torque with voltage and current.

(c) Instrumentation and measurement systems.
Measurement principles of current, voltage, motion, force, torque, pressure, flow and temperature. Op amp, high input impedance, amplifier, difference amplifier applied to measuring systems

(d) Principles of basic digital logic
Basic digital logic. Boolean Algebra. Combinational logic.

My professor recommended these 2 textbooks for the course, but I checked Amazon.com and have found them to have been trashed pretty badly by the reviewers:

Principles and Applications of Electrical Engineering
Author:Giorgio Rizzoni Revised 4e / 2004
ISBN:0-07-119878-4 (ISE) McGraw Hill

Electrical Engineering Principles and Applications
Author:Allan R. Hambley 3e / 2004
ISBN:0-13-147046-9

In addition, he also recommended Engineering Circuit Analysis by William H. Hayt, Jack Kemmerly.

Can anyone else recommend any other textbook apart from the above?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a practical angle on basic electronics (including lots of circuit examples with real components), I like "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Check it out at your technical library or school bookstore to see what you think. We have a thread stickied at the top of the EE forum discussing one of the aspects of the book.

"Art of electronics" doesn't cover the syllabus for your course BUT if you are ever going to need to use electronics for real you need this book.
Basically anyone who considers themselves in any way an EE has this book!

Get the textbooks the professor intends to use for the course. The textbook reviews on Amazon are often completely insane. They're usually posted by disgruntled kids who failed their classes.

- Warren

berkeman said:
For a practical angle on basic electronics (including lots of circuit examples with real components), I like "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Check it out at your technical library or school bookstore to see what you think. We have a thread stickied at the top of the EE forum discussing one of the aspects of the book.
I'll check out the book, but only because I'm considering EE as a major, not for the course itself.

mgb_phys said:
"Art of electronics" doesn't cover the syllabus for your course BUT if you are ever going to need to use electronics for real you need this book.
Basically anyone who considers themselves in any way an EE has this book!
Any preferences for any editions of the book over the others? I could get it 2nd hand that and make it worth it that way.

Get the textbooks the professor intends to use for the course. The textbook reviews on Amazon are often completely insane. They're usually posted by disgruntled kids who failed their classes.
There are 2 of those textbooks. Any idea which is more preferable?

I have the 2nd edition from nearly 20years ago, haven't seen the new one yet.
The advice is pretty timeless, except maybe the last chapter with the 68K micro project.

1. What is an introductory EE textbook?

An introductory EE textbook is a book that covers the fundamental concepts and principles of electrical engineering. It is typically used in undergraduate courses and provides a basic understanding of the subject.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory EE textbook?

An introductory EE textbook usually covers topics such as circuit analysis, electromagnetics, digital systems, signals and systems, and electronics. It may also include introductory topics in power systems, control systems, and communication systems.

3. Who is an introductory EE textbook appropriate for?

An introductory EE textbook is appropriate for students who are new to the field of electrical engineering and have little to no prior knowledge of the subject. It is also suitable for those who are interested in pursuing a career in electrical engineering or related fields.

4. How is an introductory EE textbook different from an advanced EE textbook?

An introductory EE textbook covers the basic principles and concepts of electrical engineering, while an advanced EE textbook delves deeper into more complex topics and may require a stronger foundation in the subject. Introductory EE textbooks are usually used in undergraduate courses, while advanced EE textbooks are used in graduate courses.

5. Are there any recommended introductory EE textbooks?

Yes, there are many recommended introductory EE textbooks, such as "Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering" by Charles Alexander and Matthew Sadiku, "Electric Circuits" by James W. Nilsson and Susan A. Riedel, and "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by Herbert W. Jackson and Dale Temple. It is best to consult with your instructor or do some research to determine which textbook best suits your needs.