Simple harmonic motion of ornament on tree

In summary, a holiday ornament in the shape of a hollow sphere with mass 2.0×10−2 kg and radius 5.5×10−2 m is hung from a tree limb by a small loop of wire attached to the surface of the sphere. If the ornament is displaced a small distance and released, it swings back and forth as a physical pendulum. If the pendulum is hanging from a pivot point that is not at the center of the sphere, the pendulum's period is given by the equation: T = 2pi(square root of (I/mgd)) where I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum about the pivot point, mg is the mass of the pendulum, and d is
azila

Homework Statement

A holiday ornament in the shape of a hollow sphere with mass 2.0×10−2 kg and radius 5.5×10−2 m is hung from a tree limb by a small loop of wire attached to the surface of the sphere. If the ornament is displaced a small distance and released, it swings back and forth as a physical pendulum.
Calculate its period. (You can ignore friction at the pivot. The moment of inertia of the sphere about the pivot at the tree limb is 5MR^2/3.)
Take the free fall acceleration to be 9.80

Homework Equations

T = 2pi(square root of (I/mgd))
I = (5MR^2)/(3)

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
First of all, I used the moment of inertia they gave me in the problem in the equation. I don't know if that is ok or am i supposed to use the moment of inertia for a hollow sphere equation. Also, the distance, I do not have, so what would I do with that. I was using L/2 and assuming L was the radius but I don't know if that is ok. Could I use the parallel axis theorem? If someone could tell me or guide me in the right path I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
azila said:
I was using L/2 and assuming L was the radius but I don't know if that is ok. Could I use the parallel axis theorem?

First of all: we always solve idealized problem (at least at this level) .. so always look out for possible assumption in the question.
Yes, you can use parallel axis theorem, but what's the need when they have already given you "I".
I have assumed 'R' as the radius of the (thin) hollow sphere.
I think, you didn't understand (or, read carefully) the question. "hung from a tree limb by a small loop of wire attached to the surface of the sphere" -- note that loop is small, so we can assume that hinge point is at the surface itself. It is more than confirmed by the value of 'I' given in question. (Hollow sphere :2MR^2/3. Use parallel axis for an axis touching its surface: 2MR^2/3 + MR^2 = 5MR^2/3.)
Now, you will realize that, d = R (where 'd' is the one to be used in the formula).
I don't think you will need any further assistance.

thanks alot!

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and frequency. This type of motion can be seen in a variety of systems, including pendulums, springs, and even ornaments on a tree.

2. How does a simple harmonic motion work for an ornament on a tree?

The ornament on a tree is attached to a branch, which acts as a spring. When the ornament is displaced from its equilibrium position, the branch exerts a restoring force on the ornament, causing it to oscillate back and forth in a simple harmonic motion.

3. What factors affect the simple harmonic motion of an ornament on a tree?

The amplitude, frequency, and mass of the ornament, as well as the stiffness of the branch (or spring), all affect the simple harmonic motion of the ornament on a tree. Additionally, external factors such as wind or other disturbances can also affect the motion.

4. Can simple harmonic motion be used to predict the movement of an ornament on a tree?

Yes, if the factors affecting the motion are known, simple harmonic motion equations can be used to predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ornament on a tree at any given time. However, external factors may cause deviations from the predicted motion.

5. What is the significance of simple harmonic motion of an ornament on a tree?

Simple harmonic motion of an ornament on a tree is a real-life application of a fundamental physical concept. It also adds to the aesthetics and beauty of the tree during the holiday season. Additionally, studying this type of motion can help us understand and predict other more complex systems that exhibit similar behavior.