Chemistry - Common Ion Effect

In summary, the initial pH of the solution is 2.67, and after adding enough sodium citrate to make the final concentration of the common citrate ion 0.145 M, the pH changes to 4.50.
sam.
What is the pH change of a 0.270 M solution of citric acid (pKa = 4.77) if enough sodium citrate is added to make the final concentration of the common citrate ion 0.145 M?

Okay so first I did an ice-table using the equation:
citric acid + water <--> hydronium + citric ion
Using an inital concentration of 0.270 for citric acid and then just solving for x using the Ka value and I got pH = 2.67 (which is the initial pH).
Now I'm having a problem with how to find the final pH. I think you're supposed to set up another ice table but I'm not too sure what values are supposed to be my initial concentrations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sam. said:
What is the pH change of a 0.270 M solution of citric acid (pKa = 4.77) if enough sodium citrate is added to make the final concentration of the common citrate ion 0.145 M?

Okay so first I did an ice-table using the equation:
citric acid + water <--> hydronium + citric ion
Using an inital concentration of 0.270 for citric acid and then just solving for x using the Ka value and I got pH = 2.67 (which is the initial pH).
Now I'm having a problem with how to find the final pH. I think you're supposed to set up another ice table but I'm not too sure what values are supposed to be my initial concentrations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
HA + H2O <--> H3O+ + A-

[HA] = 0.270 - x
[H3O+] = x
[A-] = 0.145

[H3O+]*[A-]/[HA] = Ka = 10^(-4.77)

--> x*0.145/(0.270 - x) = 10^(-4.77)

--> x = 3.16*10^(-5) --> pH = 4.50

The common ion effect is a phenomenon in which the presence of a common ion in a solution containing a weak acid or base causes a decrease in the ionization of the weak acid or base. In this case, the common ion is the citrate ion, which is present in both the citric acid and sodium citrate.

To find the final pH, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which relates the pH of a solution to the pKa of the weak acid and the ratio of the concentrations of the conjugate base and weak acid.

pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA])

In this case, the weak acid is citric acid and the conjugate base is the citrate ion. We know the pKa is 4.77 and the concentration of citrate ion is 0.145 M. To find the concentration of citric acid, we can use the common ion effect equation:

[Citric acid] = [Initial citric acid] - [Citrate ion added]

= 0.270 M - 0.145 M

= 0.125 M

Now we can plug in these values into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = 4.77 + log(0.145/0.125)

= 4.77 + 0.12

= 4.89

Therefore, the final pH of the solution is 4.89, which is slightly more acidic than the initial pH of 2.67. This is because the addition of the common citrate ion has decreased the ionization of citric acid, resulting in a lower concentration of hydronium ions and a higher pH.

1. What is the common ion effect in chemistry?

The common ion effect is a phenomenon in chemistry where the presence of a common ion in a solution can lower the solubility of a slightly soluble salt. This occurs when a salt with an ion in common with the solute is added to a solution, causing a shift in equilibrium and reducing the concentration of the solute.

2. How does the common ion effect affect solubility?

The common ion effect reduces the solubility of a slightly soluble salt by shifting the equilibrium towards the solid phase. This happens because the common ion competes with the solute for the same ion in solution, resulting in a decrease in the concentration of the solute and a decrease in solubility.

3. What factors influence the common ion effect?

The common ion effect is influenced by the concentration of the common ion in solution, the solubility product constant of the salt, and the ionic strength of the solution. Higher concentrations of the common ion, a higher solubility product constant, and a higher ionic strength will lead to a greater decrease in solubility.

4. How is the common ion effect used in analytical chemistry?

The common ion effect is used in analytical chemistry to separate and identify different ions in a solution. By adding a known amount of a common ion to a solution, the concentration of the solute can be determined by measuring the decrease in solubility. This technique is commonly used in gravimetric and titrimetric analyses.

5. How can the common ion effect be minimized or avoided?

The common ion effect can be minimized or avoided by using a solution that does not contain a common ion or by diluting the solution. By diluting the solution, the concentration of the common ion is reduced, leading to a decrease in the common ion effect. Additionally, using a complexing agent can also help reduce the impact of the common ion effect.