A question about Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation

In summary, the conversation involved finding the mass of a smaller sphere when given the gravitational force between two spheres, their distance apart, and the mass of the larger sphere. The equation F=Gm1m2/d² was used to solve for the mass of the smaller sphere, with the final answer being 50.4 kg after converting the distance from cm to m. However, it was noted that the term "smaller" may have referred to size rather than mass.
Spongemonkies

Homework Statement

The gravitational force between two shperes is 2.50x10^-8. Their centers are 105 cm apart. The larger sphere has a mass of 8.20 kg. Find the mass of the smaller sphere.

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/d²

The Attempt at a Solution

F=Gm1m2/d²
d² x F=Gm1m2/d² x d²
Fd²=Gm1m2
Fd²/Gm1=Gm1m2/Gm1
Fd²/Gm1=m2

m2=((2.50x10^-8 N)(105² cm))/((6.67x10^-11 Nm²/kg²)(8.20 kg))
m2=5.04x10^5 kg

That can't be right because the missing mass is supposed to be smaller than 8.20 kg. Did I move the equation around right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you mixing the units cm and m inappropriately?

- Warren

Okay, I forgot to convert cm to m.

But using d=1.05 meters, I get 50.4 kg as my answer. It's closer, but still too large. :frown:

Spongemonkies said:
Okay, I forgot to convert cm to m.

But using d=1.05 meters, I get 50.4 kg as my answer. It's closer, but still too large. :frown:

I agree with your result.

By "smaller" sphere they may have meant smaller in size, not necessarily smaller in mass.

So far though, we've only used mass for those problems.

1. What is Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Sir Isaac Newton, a renowned English physicist and mathematician, discovered and published his Law of Universal Gravitation in 1687 in his book "Principia Mathematica".

3. How does Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation apply to the solar system?

The Law of Universal Gravitation explains the motion of planets in the solar system. The sun's massive gravitational pull keeps the planets orbiting around it, while the planets' own gravity keeps their moons in orbit around them.

4. What is the difference between Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is a classical theory that explains the force of gravity between massive objects. Einstein's Theory of General Relativity is a more modern and accurate theory that explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

5. Can Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation be applied to objects on Earth?

Yes, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation can be applied to objects on Earth. The force of gravity between two objects on Earth, such as a person and the Earth, is proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, just like in the rest of the universe.