Mixing Problem HELP - Solve Salt in Tank After t Hours

• Thread starter the7joker7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixing
In summary, the conversation involves finding the equation for the amount of salt in a tank after a certain amount of time, given the initial amount of salt, the rate at which a solution of a certain concentration enters and exits the tank, and the initial amount of water in the tank. The solution is mixed and drained at the same rate, and the problem can be solved using calculus or chemistry. The correct equation for the amount of salt is y(t) = 50 + 50e^(-t/333.33).
the7joker7

Homework Statement

A tank contains `100` kg of salt and `2000` L of water. A solution of a concentration `0.025` kg of salt per liter enters a tank at the rate `6` L/min. The solution is mixed and drains from the tank at the same rate.

Find the equation for the amount of salt in the tank after t hours.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 0.15kg/min as my rate in and y(t)/333.33 as my rate out.

Which I put together in the form

dy/dt = (5 - y(t))/(333.33)

Split it into

int of (dy/5 - y) = int of (dt/333.33)

-ln(5 - y) = t/333.33 + C

y(0) = 100, so C = -ln(-95)

-ln(5 - y) = t/(333.33) - ln(-95)

5 - y = -95e^(-t/333.33)

y(t) = 5 + 95e^(-t/333.33)

But that's wrong. I know I've asked a lot of stuff today, but this one is driving me crazy, I've tried everything I could think of and nothing came out right. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This involves chemistry friend.

n1v1=n2v2

I'm...fairly sure it doesn't, because we've done problems like this before in Calculus without any Chemistry.

the7joker7 said:
I have 0.15kg/min as my rate in and y(t)/333.33 as my rate out.

This is correct. I believe you dropped a decimal place, because the next line should be

dy/dt = (50 - y(t))/(333.33) ,

which now gives you the incoming mass rate of 0.15 kg/min. The asymptotic mass of salt in the tank should be 50 kg
( = 0.025 kg/L · 2000 L), which is what the corrected mass function

y(t) = 50 + 50e^(-t/333.33)

will give you.

I use decimals, rather than fractions, which avoided this headache...

the7joker7 said:
I'm...fairly sure it doesn't, because we've done problems like this before in Calculus without any Chemistry.

I never said that it cannot be solved without using chemistry.
I wanted to say that this question becomes a piece of meat when solved using chemistry.

1. How do I solve for the amount of salt in a tank after a certain amount of time?

To solve for the amount of salt in a tank after a certain amount of time, you will need to use the formula Q(t) = Q0e-kt, where Q(t) represents the amount of salt in the tank after time t, Q0 represents the initial amount of salt in the tank, and k represents the constant rate of change. Plug in the values given in the problem and solve for Q(t).

2. How do I find the constant rate of change, k?

To find the constant rate of change, k, you will need to use the formula k = ln(Q1/Q2) / (t1-t2), where Q1 and Q2 are the amounts of salt in the tank at two different times, and t1 and t2 are the corresponding times. Plug in the values given in the problem and solve for k.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of mixing problem?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of mixing problem where the rate of change is constant. However, the values for Q0 and k may vary depending on the specific problem.

4. What units should I use for time and the amount of salt?

The units for time and the amount of salt should be consistent. For example, if time is given in hours, then the amount of salt should be given in units of mass per hour (e.g. grams per hour).

5. How accurate is this formula for solving mixing problems?

This formula provides a good approximation for solving mixing problems with constant rates of change. However, it may not be accurate in situations where the rate of change is not constant or if other factors, such as temperature or pressure, are involved in the mixing process.