Surface area of a cone problem

In summary, the homework statement is to derive the surface area of a cone. The question is to derive the surface area of a cone. The student attempted to solve for the surface area using double integrals but was stuck with the squareroot 2 in the formula. He combined the h^2/r^2 terms first and then added the 1.
itunescape

Homework Statement

The question is to derive the surface area of a cone.

Homework Equations

slant= square root ( r^2 + h^2)
surface area= int int [square root(fx^2 + fy^2 +1) da]
surface area of cone side= pi *r(r^2+h^2)
3d cone formula: z= h/r(squareroot x^2+y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

by looking at the structure I know that it is the area of the base (circle) + the area of the slant/side, but when I solve for the surface area using double integrals I'm stuck w/ squareroot 2 in the formula. How can I cancel that out?

i calculated fx as hx/rsqareroot(x^2+y^2)
and fy as hy/rsquareroot(x^2+y^2)

i plugged that into the formula for surface area and got: int int [h/r squareroot(2)] r dr d@
it feels like it isn't right and I don't know how to cancel the sqareroot(2) during integration. Can someone hint me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
fx and fy look ok. But when I compute sqrt(1+(fx)^2+(fy)^2) I don't get what you got for the integrand (in particular, no sqrt(2)). Can you tell us how you got that?

Dick said:
fx and fy look ok. But when I compute sqrt(1+(fx)^2+(fy)^2) I don't get what you got for the integrand (in particular, no sqrt(2)). Can you tell us how you got that?

sure:
int int squareroot [(hx/rsquareroot(x^2+y^2))^2 + (hy/rsquareroot(x^2+y^2))^2 + 1] da
int int squareroot [(h^2*x^2/r^2 (x^2+y^2)) + (h^2*y^2/r^2(x^2+y^2)) + 1] da
int int squareroot [(h^2/r^2) x^2/(x^2+y^2) + y^2/(x^2+y^2) +1] da
the +1 should change into: (x^2+y^2)/(x^2+y^2)
int int squareroot [h^2/r^2 (x^2+ y^2/(x^2+y^2)) + x^2+y^2/(x^2+y^2)] da
int int h/r squareroot(2) r dr d@

does it look right? :/ there's probablt something big that I'm missing but its so hard to see

You aren't putting enough parentheses in and you are loosing track of what multiplies what.
In this step:
int int squareroot [(h^2/r^2) x^2/(x^2+y^2) + y^2/(x^2+y^2) +1] da
the h^2/r^2 only multiplies the first two terms, not the 1. Combine them first and multiply by h^2/r^2. Then add the 1.

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a cone?

The formula for finding the surface area of a cone is SA = πr(r + √(h^2 + r^2)), where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

2. How do you calculate the slant height of a cone?

The slant height of a cone can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the slant height (l) is equal to √(r^2 + h^2), where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone.

3. Can you use the same formula for finding the surface area of a cone with a slanted base?

Yes, the same formula can be used for finding the surface area of a cone with a slanted base. However, the radius (r) used in the formula would be the radius of the slanted base instead of the radius of the circular base.

4. Is the surface area of a cone affected by the size of the cone?

Yes, the surface area of a cone is affected by the size of the cone. As the height and radius of the cone increase, the surface area also increases.

5. How is the surface area of a cone related to its volume?

The surface area of a cone is not directly related to its volume. However, the volume of a cone can be calculated using the formula V = (1/3)πr^2h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. This volume formula can then be used to find the height (h) of the cone, which can then be used in the surface area formula.