Heat transfer equation within soils

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an equation to estimate heat transfer, conductivity, and thermal diffusion rate between a cylinder metal rod and soil. The speaker is interested in measuring soil performance in removing heat for ground source heat pump networks and is open to reasonable assumptions in the solution. They also mention potential sources for data on heat conduction of soil, such as IEEE and ASHRAE Handbooks.
riscy
I'm seek simple equation that estimate the heat transfer (W/K.m2), conductivity and thermal diffusion rate between cylinder metal rod, about 2 meter length with build in heater of say 10KW and the soil of different type of conductivity and thermal diffusion stated in most textbook.

For example I insert a cylinder rod 10meter within the soil (relative to the surface) and place temperature probe 2 meter from the cylinder, I like a equation to estimate the temperature at the cylinder and the temperature probe and thus validate the actual measurement.

I'm only interested in conduction (ie convection and radiation could be assumed negligible).

The idea is to measure soil performance in removing heat as part of Ground Source Heat Pump pipe networks.

I prefer to avoid complex solution involving vector or such, since withdealing with simple problem, I willing to accept reasonable assumption about the solution.

Please submit comment/paper to riscy00@googlemail.com, no spam please.

Richard Payne

Science news on Phys.org
Why? surely there is data on different soil types for engineering applications.

search google for heat conduction of soil...IEEE has data...

There has been a lot of research done on heat extraction from soils by ground source heat pumps. I believe Oklahoma State University has a ground source heat pump research program (or did have). Moisture content of the soil is an important factor. ASHRAE Handbooks would probably be useful as well.

1. What is the heat transfer equation within soils?

The heat transfer equation within soils is a mathematical representation of the movement of thermal energy through the soil. It takes into account factors such as temperature gradients, thermal conductivity, and specific heat capacity of the soil.

2. How is the heat transfer equation within soils used in scientific research?

The heat transfer equation within soils is used in scientific research to understand and predict how heat moves through different types of soil. This information can be used to study the effects of climate change, agricultural practices, and other factors on soil temperature and heat transfer.

3. What are the key variables in the heat transfer equation within soils?

The key variables in the heat transfer equation within soils include thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity, temperature gradients, and thermal diffusivity. These variables determine how quickly heat can move through the soil and how it is distributed.

4. How does moisture content affect the heat transfer equation within soils?

Moisture content can significantly affect the heat transfer equation within soils. Moist soil has a higher thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity compared to dry soil, meaning it can transfer and store more heat. This can impact soil temperature and the movement of thermal energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of the heat transfer equation within soils?

The heat transfer equation within soils has many practical applications, such as in geothermal energy systems, soil conservation and agriculture, and environmental studies. It is also used in designing buildings and other structures to optimize energy efficiency and reduce heating and cooling costs.