What Can You Do with a Degree in Earth and Space Exploration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of double majoring in Earth and Space Exploration and geology. The individual is considering this option for personal interest and to enhance their chances of being accepted into a graduate program. However, the main factors that are taken into account during the admissions process are research experience and academic performance in the primary field. While a dual major may slightly improve the chances of acceptance, it is not the main determining factor. Nonetheless, having a strong background in both fields can be beneficial in both coursework and research.
Nick Raaa
My school offers a degree in Earth and Space Exploration. To me it sounds interesting and I'm thinking about double it majoring along with geology. And since there is already a lot of overalp in classes it probably won't add too much classes wise.

It seems like a very general degree and I'm wondering what I could do with it, other than just personal enlightenment. I'll be looking for grad schools in the couple next years and is there much benefit in having dual majors as far as grad schools are concerned?

Here a link to the 'course roadmap'

http://catalog.asu.edu/files/majormap08/LASESBS.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I'm in physics, not geology... but here's my experience:

There's generally perhaps a very SLIGHT consideration of dual majors (or even very strong minors with many of the upper level courses required in a second major without some of the intermediate courses), but it depends a bit on what the dual major is in, and if it compliments your research plan. Generally in graduate admissions processes, what matters most in the "committee factor" (from faculty in the committee reviewing your application) is research experience... when I was on a committee, we gave a committee score on an application that was factored in with GRE scores, GPA, institution quality (from our own ranking system on a scale of 5 that was revised every few years), etc. When committee members reviewed the application (read by three committee members, rated and averaged) research and publications (backed up by strong faculty letters) were really what determined our number (in our case on a scale of 10). Sometimes factors like a dual major, very strong minors, drastically improving grades, etc. could push it up by 0.5... but that was about it. While the committee number was ranked very strongly... I can't believe that 0.5 points really made a strong difference in the overall ranking.

Here's my summary:
1) You should be very strong in your primary field... take all the upper levels you can an perform well in those courses. This will help you do well on the GRE and shows to the committee shows that you can get through any core coursework and qualifying / comprehensive exams... the hurdles in the graduate program.
2) You should be strong in research. The strongest applicants do research at their home institution during the year, and do research at other institutions (through things like REU programs) during the summers. This shows that you can do the primary function of a graduate program.

Nonetheless, I'm rather fond of dual majors / strong minors. I generally think if it is in a complimentary field, it helps with both of the above. It helps in coursework (often upper level coursework makes references to and links more to other fields than you might expect). It also will likely help you do better research... you might do more interesting / research by combining fields in a creative manner... or you might at least have insight when something unexpected happens.

I can say that the field of Earth and Space Exploration is an incredibly exciting and rapidly advancing area of study. It combines elements of geology, astronomy, and other sciences to understand the origins and evolution of our planet and the universe as a whole.

Having a degree in Earth and Space Exploration can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including working in research and development, government agencies, and private companies. With the increasing interest in space exploration and the growing importance of understanding our planet's resources and environment, this degree can also lead to a variety of jobs in fields such as environmental management, energy, and natural resource exploration.

In terms of your question about double majoring, it can certainly be beneficial in terms of expanding your knowledge and skillset, and showing a strong academic background to potential graduate schools. However, it is important to keep in mind that graduate programs often look for applicants with a specific focus and research interests, so it may be more important to have a strong foundation in one specific area rather than multiple majors.

I recommend exploring the courses in the roadmap you provided and talking to advisors or professors in the Earth and Space Exploration department to see what opportunities and career paths are available with this degree. Ultimately, it's important to pursue a degree that interests and excites you, and with the constantly evolving field of Earth and Space Exploration, there will always be new and exciting opportunities for those who are passionate about it.

1. What is Earth and Space Exploration?

Earth and Space Exploration refers to the study and investigation of the Earth, its surrounding space, and the larger universe. It involves the use of various scientific tools and techniques to gather information and better understand the physical, chemical, and biological processes that shape our planet and the vastness of space.

2. Why is Earth and Space Exploration important?

Earth and Space Exploration is important because it helps us to gain a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe we live in. It allows us to discover new phenomena, expand our knowledge of the natural world, and develop technologies that can improve our lives. It also helps us to answer some of the biggest questions about our existence, such as the origin of the universe and the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

3. What are some methods used in Earth and Space Exploration?

Some methods used in Earth and Space Exploration include remote sensing, which uses satellites and other instruments to collect data from a distance, as well as in situ measurements, which involve sending probes or astronauts to directly observe and collect data from different locations. Other methods include computer simulations, laboratory experiments, and astronomical observations.

4. How has Earth and Space Exploration advanced over time?

Earth and Space Exploration has advanced significantly over time, thanks to advancements in technology. In the past, exploration was limited to using telescopes and simple instruments, such as compasses and sextants. However, with the development of more advanced tools, such as satellites, spacecraft, and rovers, we are now able to explore and study the Earth and the universe in much greater detail.

5. What are some current and future challenges in Earth and Space Exploration?

Some current and future challenges in Earth and Space Exploration include developing more advanced technologies to reach further into space, finding sustainable ways to explore and utilize resources in space, and addressing ethical concerns surrounding space exploration. Additionally, there is a growing need to address climate change and its impact on Earth, as well as potential risks from asteroid impacts and other natural disasters.