Can Brain Waves be Measured Non-Invasively for Schizophrenia Research?

In summary, brain waves have a frequency which determines the rate at which they "refresh." This is important because when awake, brainwaves are at a higher frequency than when sleeping. There are several types of brainwave patterns with distinctive fequencies that have names like 'delta'... and so on.EEG signals aren't the only place where we talk about power spectra. Other neural signals such as local field potentials (LFP) or single unit activity binned spike count can also be analyzed in this way. Recently there's been a lot of interest in analyzing data this way. A lot of this stems from work done in Nikos Logothetis' lab showing LFP power in certain frequency bands correl
alexk307
how can brain waves have a frequency. frequency is the amount of cycles per second. I'm guessing that this is the time it takes for brain waves to "refresh" I don't understand what it exactly means. The reason I'm asking is that when awake brainwaves are at a higher frequency than when sleeping.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think this link will help you understand an eeg and brainwaves:
http://www.crossroadsinstitute.org/eeg.html

There are several types of brainwave patterns with distinctive fequencies that have names like 'delta'... and so on.

EEG signals aren't the only place where we talk about power spectra. You can perform similar analyses on other (analog) neural signals such as local field potentials (LFP) or single unit activity binned spike count. Recently there's been a lot of interest in analyzing data this way. A lot of this stems from work done in Nikos Logothetis' lab showing LFP power in certain frequency bands correlating better with the fMRI BOLD response than the single unit activity does...

There's also been various hypotheses (some that have been around for a while) postulating that attentional effects are best characterized in the frequency domain (buzzword: neural synchrony). Also there's been a lot of interest in LFP oscillations in schizophrenia research...

Analysis of neural data in the frequency domain seems to be an exploding field.

I'm wondering about the time the brain needs to understand a sound.i know sounds are been transformed into electrical signals which brain understands.But what time is needed for the whole process(from the creation of the sound till we finally hear it)?And what time brain needs to decode 2 same sounds in row?

Cincinnatus said:
Also there's been a lot of interest in LFP oscillations in schizophrenia research...
I googled and found a paper about LFP research on monkeys.

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/28/22/5696

To perform the research they implanted depth electrodes, and had to dope the monkeys up considerably. Is there a non-invasive method of collecting this data as well?

As far as I know they only do depth electrodes on people who are being prepared for brain surgery, since a much more invasive procedure is going to follow anyway. I'm not aware it's ever done for research only. Heard anything about this?

Zoobyshoe is correct that we do only record directly from the brains of (consenting) brain surgery patients. So far this only happens during an intervening step in the middle of a long procedure that certain intractable epilepsy patients must go through...

The fact is that the only human electrophysiology data we have (or will ever have) is from epilepsy patients. This is a confounding variable that cannot easily be overcome.

Cincinnatus said:
Zoobyshoe is correct that we do only record directly from the brains of (consenting) brain surgery patients. So far this only happens during an intervening step in the middle of a long procedure that certain intractable epilepsy patients must go through...

The fact is that the only human electrophysiology data we have (or will ever have) is from epilepsy patients. This is a confounding variable that cannot easily be overcome.

Thanks. I am concerned about your mention of interest in LFP with respect to schizophrenia research, which raises the question of how they could collect any data non-invasively.

zoobyshoe said:
Thanks. I am concerned about your mention of interest in LFP with respect to schizophrenia research, which raises the question of how they could collect any data non-invasively.

They can't.

This is why animal models are necessary.

1. What are brain waves and how do they work?

Brain waves are electrical signals produced by the brain that can be measured using an electroencephalogram (EEG). They are generated by the synchronized activity of neurons and reflect different states of consciousness or mental processes. Brain waves have different frequencies that correspond to different levels of arousal and cognitive activity.

2. How are brain waves classified?

Brain waves are classified according to their frequency, which is measured in Hertz (Hz). The five main categories of brain waves are delta (0.5-4 Hz), theta (4-8 Hz), alpha (8-12 Hz), beta (12-30 Hz), and gamma (30-100 Hz). Each frequency range is associated with different mental states and functions.

3. What is the significance of brain wave frequency?

The frequency of brain waves is closely related to our level of consciousness and cognitive abilities. Delta waves are associated with deep sleep and unconsciousness, while theta waves are linked to dreaming and meditative states. Alpha waves are present during relaxed wakefulness, while beta waves are associated with alertness and focused attention. Gamma waves are believed to be involved in higher cognitive functions such as perception, problem-solving, and memory.

4. Can brain waves be controlled?

Yes, brain waves can be influenced and controlled through various techniques such as meditation, biofeedback, and neurofeedback. These techniques can train the brain to produce specific brain waves associated with desired mental states, leading to improved cognitive and emotional functioning.

5. Do brain waves have any health implications?

Research has shown that imbalances or abnormalities in brain wave frequencies can be associated with various neurological and psychiatric conditions. For example, individuals with high levels of delta waves may experience symptoms of depression, while those with excessive beta waves may have anxiety or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). However, further research is needed to fully understand the role of brain waves in these conditions and how they can be used for diagnosis and treatment.