Characterising surfaces

• Thread starter baffledMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary: Hurst analysis is a way of measuring the roughness of a surface by looking at the length of the shortest path between two points on the surface. It's a very reliable technique and is used in a lot of industrial and scientific applications.
baffledMatt
Does anybody know any neat measurements one can do to characterise a surface? I'm thinking generally of rough surfaces such as the ones you come across in epitaxial systems.

In other words:
If I have two ensembles of surfaces, what is the best method to use to determine whether the same growth process was used for each ensemble?

The ideas I have so far are:
Power spectrum
Wavelet analysis

but these can be unreliable as it is quite easy to make two different processes create very similar looking power spectra, etc. This makes life especially difficult with experimental data because you generally don't have the statistics you would like.

Also, does anybody know anything about what resampling methods exist for this type of scenario? I have seen people who scan lines across the surface and take separate measurements for each one, then do exactly the same thing again but with the lines going at right angles to the first ones. Due to the huge amount of correlation, this method seems dodgy as hell to me.

Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve here but you could look at the following :

auger spectroscopy(AES), STM, XPS, SIMS - these are commonly used for surface characterization

Thanks, but I'm more looking for theoretical techniques to analyse my data.

I have measurements of some rough surfaces in the form [tex]h(x,y)[/tex], which is the height at a given (x,y) coordinate (x,y is in the plane of the surface) and I want to compare them to similar surfaces generated on a computer.

Matt

Mandelbrot used fractals to characterize roughness. Don't ask me how that one works.

Simon666 said:
Mandelbrot used fractals to characterize roughness. Don't ask me how that one works.

Yeah, I discussed this problem with him last week and he thinks that the best thing is to use Hurst analysis. I'm just not so sure because this sort of thing amounts to trying to decide if one straight line on a log-log plot is the same as another straight line on a log-log plot (which is how we determine the Hurst exponent) It's all just a little unsatisfying really.

Matt

What is surface characterisation?

Surface characterisation is the process of analyzing and describing the physical, chemical, and topographical properties of a material's surface. This can include techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and profilometry.

Why is surface characterisation important in research?

Surface characterisation is important in research because it allows scientists to understand the properties and behavior of materials at the surface level. This can provide valuable insights into the performance and functionality of a material, as well as inform the development of new materials and technologies.

What techniques are commonly used for surface characterisation?

Common techniques for surface characterisation include scanning electron microscopy (SEM), atomic force microscopy (AFM), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), and contact angle measurements. Each technique has its own advantages and limitations, and scientists often use a combination of techniques to fully characterise a surface.

How can surface characterisation be used in industry?

Surface characterisation is useful in industry for quality control, process optimization, and product development. By understanding the properties of a material's surface, manufacturers can ensure the consistency and performance of their products, as well as identify areas for improvement.

What are the challenges in surface characterisation?

One of the main challenges in surface characterisation is the complexity and heterogeneity of many surfaces. This can make it difficult to obtain accurate and representative data, and may require specialized techniques and equipment. Another challenge is interpreting and analyzing the large amount of data that can be generated from surface characterisation, which requires expertise and careful consideration.