Defibrillator: charge, capacitance, power and current problem

In summary: Yes, there is an equation that relates power to energy and time: P = E/t. This equation can be used to find the average power delivered by the defibrillator, where E is the energy released (160 J) and t is the time it takes for the capacitor to completely discharge (2.0 ms or 0.002 seconds). So the average power delivered would be P = 160 J / 0.002 s = 80,000 W.
bmandrade

Homework Statement

A heart dysfunction that can cause death is ventricular fibrillation. This is an
uncoordinated quivering of the heart as opposed to regular beating. An electric shock to
the chest can cause momentary paralysis of the heart muscle, after which the heart will
sometimes start organized beating again. A defibrillator is a device that applies a strong
electric shock to the chest over a time of a few milliseconds. The device contains a
capacitor of several microfarads, charged to several thousand volts. Electrodes called
paddles, about 8 cm across and coated with conducting paste, are held against the chest
on both sides of the heart. Their handles are insulated to prevent injury to the operator,
who calls “Clear!” and pushes a button on one paddle to discharge the capacitor through
the patient's chest.

Assume that the capacitor in the defibrillator is 20.0 μF and is charged to 4,000 Volts.

a. How much charge is stored in the capacitor before it is discharged?
b. How much energy is released when the capacitor is discharged?
c. If the capacitor completely discharges in 2.0 ms, what is the average current
delivered by the defibrillator?
d. What is the average power delivered?

Homework Equations

C= Q/V
Energy stored= 1/2 C*V^2
I = Q\t
P=I*V

The Attempt at a Solution

a. How much charge is stored in the capacitor before it is discharged?
C= Q/V
Q = C*V = 20E-6 * 4000 = .08 C

b. How much energy is released when the capacitor is discharged?
Energy stored= 1/2 C*V^2 = 1/2 (20E-6)(4000^2 = 160 J

c. If the capacitor completely discharges in 2.0 ms, what is the average current
delivered by the defibrillator?
I = Q/t = .08/.002 = 40 A

d. What is the average power delivered?
P = I*V = 40 (4000)= 1.6X10^5W

I don't know if i did this problem right can someone help me

Physics news on Phys.org
a, b, and c look good.

A problem with d:
V is 4000v only at the beginning of the discharge, and drops to 0V by the end of the discharge. So P=I*V=1.6X10^5W is only true at the beginning; the average power will be less.

Do you know any other equations that deal with power?

?

Your calculations for parts a-d appear to be correct. The only thing to note is that in part c, the units for average current should be in Amperes (A) rather than Amps (which is just a shortened form of Amperes). Overall, your response is a good explanation of the concepts of charge, capacitance, power, and current in relation to a defibrillator. However, as a scientist, it would also be important to mention any potential safety concerns or limitations of using a defibrillator, as well as any current research or advancements in the technology. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide context for why this information is important and how it relates to the overall goal of using a defibrillator to save lives.

1. What is a defibrillator?

A defibrillator is a medical device used to restore a normal heart rhythm in individuals experiencing a cardiac arrest. It delivers an electrical shock to the heart, which can help to restart the heart's electrical activity.

2. How does a defibrillator charge work?

A defibrillator charge works by storing electrical energy in a capacitor. When the device is activated, the energy is released in a controlled manner through electrodes placed on the chest, delivering a shock to the heart.

3. What is the role of capacitance in a defibrillator?

Capacitance is the ability of a material to store electrical energy. In a defibrillator, a capacitor is used to store the electrical energy needed to deliver a shock to the heart. The higher the capacitance, the more energy can be stored and delivered.

4. How is power related to a defibrillator?

Power is the rate at which energy is delivered. In a defibrillator, a high power output is necessary to deliver a strong enough shock to the heart to restore a normal rhythm. This is why defibrillators are designed to have a high power output.

5. What is the ideal current for a defibrillator to deliver a shock?

The ideal current for a defibrillator to deliver a shock is around 20,000 amps. This high level of current is necessary to quickly and effectively restore the heart's normal rhythm. However, the actual current delivered may vary depending on the specific device and the individual's condition.