Normalization of a Wave Function

In summary: This is why experienced physicists often have a deep understanding of the concepts that are being taught.In summary, the student attempted to solve the equation for the wave function and found that it was correct. They also learned that the absolute value can be a problem when evaluating the wave function and that experienced physicists often understand the concepts being taught.
r16

Homework Statement

I'm starting to (trying) teach myself some quantum mechanics out of the Griffiths book, and since there are no answers in the back I have no idea if I'm on the right track or not. Could you guys look over the answer to this equation to see if it looks right?

Consider the wave function [tex] \Psi(x,t) = A e^{-\lambda |x|}e^{-i \omega t}[/tex]

a Normalize [tex]\Psi[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] 1 = \int^\infty_{-\infty} | \Psi |^2 dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^2 = (\Psi*)\Psi[/tex]
[tex]\Psi* = A e^{-\lambda |x|}e^{i \omega t}[/tex]
[tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^2 = A^2e^{-2 \lambda |x|}[/tex]

[tex] 1 = \int^\infty_{-\infty} A^2e^{-2 \lambda |x|} dx = \frac{A^2}{\lambda} [/tex]
[tex] A = \sqrt{\lambda}[/tex]

Look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct. Don't forget you can check your answer by integrating the function with your normalization constant plugged in.

Here, the absolute value becomes a problem. The absolute value makes the integrand an even function. That means that the final function is symetric about the y axis. What you can do is drop the absolute value, Integrate from 0 to infinity, and multiply the result by two.

Oh wait, you did the integral already. Well, that's what you would do if you were actually doing the math rather than using a table or computer program.

flatmaster said:
Here, the absolute value becomes a problem. The absolute value makes the integrand an even function. That means that the final function is symetric about the y axis. What you can do is drop the absolute value, Integrate from 0 to infinity, and multiply the result by two.

i did the integral mathematically exactly the way you said! I wasn't completely sure that this was the correct way to evaluate the absolute value, but I had a feeling it was. I'm a math major in addition to being a physics major =)

This lies within the tips and tricks that are learned slowly and never taught explicitly. When they are taught explicitly, they are often not understood at the time.

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a wave function?

The purpose of normalizing a wave function is to ensure that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1. This allows for accurate predictions of the particle's behavior and eliminates any discrepancies or errors in the calculations.

2. How is the normalization condition expressed mathematically?

The normalization condition is expressed as ∫|ψ(x)|²dx = 1, where ψ(x) is the wave function and the integral is taken over all possible values of x.

3. Can a wave function be normalized if it is complex-valued?

Yes, a wave function can still be normalized if it is complex-valued. The normalization condition applies to the absolute value of the wave function, so the complex components do not affect the normalization process.

4. Is normalization of a wave function necessary for all quantum systems?

Yes, normalization of a wave function is necessary for all quantum systems. This is because the wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a certain state, and the total probability of finding the particle must be equal to 1 in any system.

5. What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it means that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is not equal to 1. This can result in incorrect predictions and inconsistencies in the behavior of the particle.