Jackson's Text is not my Friend-Any E+M Text Recommendations?

• Thread starter Djinn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, Djinn recommends reading Griffiths, and if you want to learn more about the theory behind electromagnetism, read Schwinger. Additionally, Jason recommends Classical Electromagnetism by Franklin and Classical Electrodynamics by Landau and Lifgarbage.
Djinn
Jackson's Text is not my Friend--Any E+M Text Recommendations?

Hello Everyone,

I am a first year PhD student taking E+M. We are using, as many students do, the dear text by John David Djingleheimer Jackson. He seems like a pretty righteous dude, but I'm not feeling the textbook. Does anyone have any recommendations for supplementary texts? To give an example of a book I love: Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

Much obliged.

-- Djinn

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't have much experience with E&M textbooks, but I found Griffith's book rather instructive. I like the way he sets things up and his writing style in general.

Jackson is indeed very rigorous, and I definitely recommend reading it to tighten your grip on the material - besides it is very useful as a reference. However, I agree that for learning, you mind find some other book useful.

Take a look at Schwinger's E&M text. I liked it a lot from what i read.

Djinn said:
To give an example of a book I love: Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

I loved Shankar as well and found many of the same things I loved about Shankar in Griffiths. Griffiths is not as rigorous as Jackson of course, but it will prepare you well. Have you read Goldstein yet as well?

Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. I've also heard good things about Panofsky & Philips.

Thanks to all for their recommendations, and to whoever moved the thread to the right place. I looked for a section like this, but I'm new here and I didn't find it. :^)

Electrodynamics by Fulvio Melia
This book isn't big on doing a bunch of calculations (it doesn't even have problem sets), but it does do a good job of explaining the ideas.

Look for Smythe or Stratton, either is good and I think better than Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Likes yucheng

Yes, that's true. But TS asked for supplementary texts, and I think VanderLine serves this purpose well.

The other major comprehensive book is Schwinger.

If you're going to do Jackson, and like the three Stooges say, "It feels so good when you stop.", find which group of students has that file drawer of previous question attempts. You got to do a lot of problems to love Jackson and few humans are capable of doing enough of those completelyfrom scratch.

Electrodynamics of continuous media by Landau and Lifgarbagez covers most of what is covered in Jackson in more detail.

the book "classical electromagnetic radiation" by heald and marion is pretty good for the dynamics piece (not so much for statics). It is at an advanced undergrad level - above Griffiths, I would say (although Griffiths is really really good). You can get a used copy of the second edition for <$10 at Amazon.

good luck

jason

"Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin is at Jackson's level, but is readable.

1. What is "Jackson's Text is not my Friend" about?

"Jackson's Text is not my Friend" is an article that discusses the struggles of understanding and learning from a particular E+M (Electricity and Magnetism) textbook, and seeks recommendations for alternative textbooks that may be more helpful.

2. Why is it important to find a good E+M textbook?

E+M is a fundamental subject in physics and plays a crucial role in many fields, such as electrical engineering and astrophysics. A good textbook can greatly aid in understanding complex concepts and applications, and can ultimately lead to success in related courses and careers.

3. How do I know if a textbook is a good fit for me?

The best way to know if a textbook is a good fit is to first look at the table of contents and see if it covers all the topics you need to learn. You can also read reviews from other students or ask for recommendations from professors or fellow scientists who have already used the textbook.

4. Are there any specific E+M textbooks that are highly recommended?

There are many textbooks available for E+M, but some of the most highly recommended ones include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell, and "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular E+M textbook?

If you find yourself struggling with a particular E+M textbook, don't be afraid to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, study groups, or consulting with a professor or tutor. It may also be helpful to switch to a different textbook that may better suit your learning style.